1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Unless you plan on becoming a Republican and changing that party, then it's the Democratic Party we're discussing here. What it can do.

2. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

And how they let it get this far!

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Voted today. Probably only made the margin of defeat for everything smaller.... but I can hope.

Line was about 100 people long when I got there and longer when I left.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I actually think Democrats will hold onto the Senate. I think Warnock wins, as does Fetterman. But if the GOP takes over both houses, given what just transpired with Jan. 6 and Roe v. Wade, it might be a look-in-the-mirror moment for the party.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, it'd be a normal midterm. In fact, say the GOP gets 51 Senators and 230 House seats. That'd be a hugely above average performance for the incumbent's party in a midterm. If it weren't for the Dobbs decision, the Democrats would be on track for a hellacious beating.

matt_garth and Hermes like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

if democracy is literally on the line, according to a lot of pundits, then it’s really not a normal midterm

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I hope the response was: “Are you fucking kidding?”

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

As of about 2 pm EST on Jan. 6, 2021, nothing in US politics was fucking “normal.”

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It will be bad for democracy if people committed to overturning elections they don't like are elected to office. Some will be. Others will not. Can't estimate damage until the storm is over. But there are plenty of people who think the number of elected officials willing to do that should be zero, and that's who the pundits are speaking for. Note: The number was damn close to zero in 2020. When push came to shove, a lot of GOP officials in a position to make mischief just didn't.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trumpists will oppose anything proposed by Democrats. To endorse is to be labeled a cuck.
    Mitt Romney, a Republican, created the template for what we now call Obamacare. Democrats thought the general concept was solid. They thought this enough to package it and articulate it and ultimately codify it. The Trumpist klan tried 40 times to get it repealed. They still demonize it.
    So, no. Democrats gain nothing by capitulating.

TowelWaver likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Were Assault weapons were banned at this time?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You compared the two parties in your post, so no, it isn't just he Democratic Party we are discussing here. The point stands. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that the Republican Party is the more inclusive one. As usual, you are utterly full of shit.

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted