1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Semiannual Daylight Saving Time complaining thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 12, 2022.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Only thing I can say nice about the time change is my son’s school district gave us a two-day break Monday and Tuesday. Makes it easier getting a first grader up and ready by Wednesday than after one day.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Naturally, the dogs don't know we moved the clocks back. So at 6:30, when it starts getting light, they start moving around wanting to go out, instead of 7:30 a.m.

I thought we'd be the only creatures out that early, but no. EVERY DOG in the neighborhood ignored the clock switch and wanted out an hour early.

I Should Coco and Driftwood like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Change really screwed with me yesterday. Couldn't sleep past 6:15, fell asleep before 9 p.m. Woke up around 2:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. And tomorrow I'm heading to the Central Time Zone for the rest of the week, so my internal clock is just going to be a mess for a while, it seems.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My cat started stepping on me at 2:30 this morning to be fed. Usually I can sleep a little longer before he does that.
    Oh and the Tiny Human didn't turn his clock either. He got up at 4:30 yesterday and today, which especially sucks because he was sleeping closer to 7 before the time change.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Puppy woke me up at 6 to go outside. Wife gets up to work at 7 usually, so he knew it was "time"

Going to be a few weeks before this gets fixed I bet.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

All I know is, it sucks getting dark at 5 p.m. or earlier. And today is absolutely wet, cold and miserable. Welcome to standard time.

I was in Northern Virginia/ Richmond this past week. The weather was absolutely spectacular, the Mall and museums were practically empty on Wednesday so being a tourist was great (no school trips in the Smithsonian, pure heaven) so coming home to this crap is a tough gig.

The plane from Dulles to PDX had to change course because of 200mph headwinds in the Midwest and we flew over Canada, a 5-hour flight took 6. But I did get to see Toronto at night, which was pretty cool.

And of rant and thread hijack. I love DST and I think on the West Coast this was the last time we have to turn our clocks back because Cali, Oregon and Washington have all petitioned for year-round DST.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I had less than two hours of usable light from the time I got home from work until it was pitch dark.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not unless the House passes the bill and Biden signs it.

Colorado can go to year-round DST if the change at the federal level happens AND four other Mountain time zone states also switch. Right now, it's Utah, Wyoming and Montana. Arizona won't do it. So that leaves New Mexico and the southern half of Idaho that would need to make the switch.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Arizona won’t? Thought they would considering they are fixed to one already.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This Friday night begins the annual pain in the butt ritual of the second round of football playoffs where teams will start crossing time zones each way.
    You know you kick off at 7 wherever you are, but it makes travel a pain.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I spent most of the last six months in Australia, which means I had no Daylight Saving Time this year. I was crossing the Pacific on both time-change days.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Arizona is staunchly on Mountain Standard Time year-round. It won't go to daylight saving time year-round. If/when it happens, it will align with the West Coast states.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted