1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You did, though. These are your words, your opinion:

Until we know how many extra base hits were a product of the Clenbuterol, and how many strikeouts we should attribute to HGH, those numbers aren'treliable. Lies, damn lies, statistics, etc.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I described the problem. I didn't cause it.

I didn't erase anything. I stipulated who did.

3. Regan MacNeil

You’re doing the actual erasing, tho. One has to grant your premise that it is a problem. It’s a problem because baseball writers made it a problem. I want Bonds to be in. I want Clemens to be in. It’s only a problem to people who share your opinion that the whole era is tainted.

4. Regan MacNeil

It’s actually among baseball’s problems: too many gatekeepers.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But the Hall of Fame is entirely a product of gatekeeping.

The problem of performance enhancement exists. It's not imaginary.

Again, I don't have a vote. But the complications of the Steroid Era in baseball are real, and entirely self-inflicted. Including the willing blindness and willful ignorance of the baseball press.

If Bonds is in or out, or Clemens, et al, it's because Hall voters - the only gatekeepers in this discussion - want them in or out.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

PEDs are a tangible thing.

And PEDs tangibly began to have an effect on performance in the 1990s into the 2000s.

MLB did a shit job of even acknowledging what was happening, and has never reconciled it.

It's not a matter of anyone's opinion about whether the whole era is tainted versus another opinion that it's no big deal. It's a matter of it being an unresolved mess.

The writers didn't create this, so I hate it when people make it about them. They are now in the position of voting without clear guidelines about what to do with regard to PEDs, and baseball is getting exactly what it set itself up for. Different writers feel differently about it. And that isn't the writers' faults.

MLB could say, "Vote just based on performance, don't factor in PED use. We'll just put a whole asterisk on the era." Or they can say they will put an asterisk on any player that got caught. Or, it could put a HOF ban on anyone who did get caught and resolve it that way. Not even make certain players eligible.

But it has done nothing to clarify the criteria, it has left it completely up to the voters. I personally don't fault any voter for feeling one way or the other about PED use. ... provided that they are consistent in their application of whatever standard they have decided on (which some aren't, and then I do have a problem with them).

Azrael likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It sure sounds like you have a dog in this fight. I don't mean a specific player, but you are pushing one side of the debate hard.

No, the players didn't erase that era. The union didn't. MLB didn't. The fans didn't. A bunch of old or oldish men longing for a simpler, more uncomplicated time are trying to do it.

8. outofplace

That doesn't mean they are right. Trying to legislate the past is just ridiculous. They are abusing and misusing their votes to try to revise history.

9. outofplace

That is why they shouldn't try. The time to fix it was decades ago. Vote on what happened, not what they think should have happened or what they think would have happened.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I really don't.

Again, any Hall of Fame is by definition "gatekeeping."

Plenty of younger Hall voters seem confused by the problem as well.

11. outofplace

The writers are creating the current problem, which is the evaluation of players who are either proven or accused PED users. The ones abusing their vote to legislate the past are absolutely creating the problem.

Also, you lost me when you suggested that PEDs tangibly began to have an effect on performance in the 1990s. You don't realize it was happening before that?

12. outofplace

You really do. You are taking a side. That is having a dog in the fight.

They are confused because they are overcomplicating it by trying to legislate the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted