1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Birmingham News, Press-Register, Huntsville Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Nov 3, 2022.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Facility in Harrisburg was more modern and cheaper to run, would be my guess.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was pretty spankin' new my last few years.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In their latest earnings call Gannett management said they were making progress on filling routes. They said only 10% were vacant, down from 14%. But the weather is going to get colder. I bet January mornings in many markets are daunting so we will see how many stay through the winter.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Any daily newspaper that still prints is insane. The band aid really needed to just be ripped off for good about 10 years ago. The people who still read the print product are probably not gonna be alive in 10 years. That’s not a growth audience.

Readallover likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

The reason newspapers have maintained print is because that is where the money still is. Gannett, in their most recent quarter, only generated 36% of their revenue from on-line. Lee, which is the only other publically traded chain I am aware of, had similar results.

The financial question of the next few years for the newspaper industry is as print is reduced or abandoned all together how much of the print readership and advertising transfers to the electronic editions.

Personally, I am pessimistic. The WSJ article on this pointed out that the combined circulation of the three papers had declined from 260,000 to less than 30,000 in a decade. Even if all 30,000 subscribers purchase and actively use the e-edition how much revenue can be generated from such a small audience?

SixToe and Batman like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, in one place it is. ;)

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

But it's not a real newspaper, is it?
    It's damn sure not a real newsroom. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nothing better than reading a legal ad, which counties are required by law to post in newspapers, on your phone or tablet.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

92 pages of fake news today. Weighed more than 2 pounds. :)

paper.jpeg

maumann likes this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The Weekly World News had a lot of content, too.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

How come none of us ever ran into the Bat Child?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

I once worked for a county 35 years ago in what was then exurban Denver. The only paper that published in the county was in Castle Rock. Most of the population of the county lived along the northern border which at that time was the southern edge of the Denver metro area. Castle Rock only had a population of about 6,000. The Denver papers dominated the county. But the county building read everything the Castle Rock printed.

The point behind that antidote is that local elected officials still want the endorsement of the local paper. So said officials will not sponsor legislation to get rid of the requirement to print legals in the local paper and risk the wrath of the publisher. Even though I bet 99% of counties post their legals on-line anyway.

If these laws are repeal to require legals to be published I think it would push many small papers over the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted