1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Again, you are asking players and owners to cut revenues in half, but sure, you are being realistic.

Azrael likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe.

But scarcity generally makes a thing more valuable rather than less valuable.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Old enough to remember it, but I was still in high school.

Pittsburgh / Baltimore.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The only game of the World Series I couldn't watch because I had to be on the school bus at 5:30 a.m. Boca Raton Junior High was so overcrowded, we were on double sessions, so I got home at 11:45 a.m. every day. That was pretty cool back then.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I’m sure local broadcasts who pay through the roof for those rights would agree.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If, by cutting the number of games played in half, each game broadcast became twice as valuable, yes, they would.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You really live in some alternate universe. Enjoy.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think fan exhaustion is the problem, because I don't think the die-hards who would actually watch 162 games are the problem. They are sticking with it. It is the casual fans that baseball needs to capture and hold, and cutting the regular season down isn't going to help with them.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Willie Mays documentary on HBO Max was good. It probably was a tad long, and a bit basic at times for hardcore fans, but I learned stuff I didn't know. They had good interviews with Willie's 1970s Giants teammates such as Orlando Cepeda and Tito Fuentes. Barry Bonds spoke a lot about his reverence for Mays and the impact he had on his life.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dude, TV people are not paying more for less. Money they pay is based on advertising dollars they stand to make. You can't just expect them to see ad shares cut in half and think they will pony up even more money. So yeah you pass costs to advertisers. Advertisers are not shilling out double or more to have half as much exposure. Not happening.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Usually “Let’s fix baseball” is a February topic on sports talk radio, not November.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Usually more people give a shit about baseball's premier event, I suppose.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted