1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Truth to tell, I chose to spend my Election Day energies and anxieties here - and here - rather than angry up the blood on the Politics thread.

Hot stove therapy.

For which I thank you all.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw this and thought it summed up the current state of the Pirates franchise nicely.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

How did the left side of the infield let it get to that?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I remember being 11, 12 years old at a Little League all-star tournament game. It had rained fiercely, and the hosts' ground crew brought buckets of gasoline out to the infield and burned off the rain.

At 11, 12 years old, it struck me even then as an awfully dangerous idea. (They did get the game in.)

Batman and maumann like this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did the Japanese bombers wave at you on their way over? /crossthread

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

From my lawnchair in CA I'll proffer:

The problem with the World Series nowadays is:

Sooo many more alternatives available, NFL, NBA, E-sports, streaming movies/shows/internet;

NBA didn't start until after the WS;

Before, it was ABC, NBC, CBS, UHF and that was it;

others didn't exist;

Kids are not as interested in baseball as Boomers were; and

Analytics and the three true outcomes have hit the audience.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Many years ago, one of our local high school baseball coaches was apparently pissed at his players for something.
    They were scheduled to play an early-season doubleheader around 10 a.m. on a Saturday. It had rained the night before and a front moved in, so the field was soaked and it was about 40 degrees, overcast and windy by Saturday morning. It wasn't even a district game, but the coach refused to cancel it. I went out there at 10 and he told me they'd play at 1. I went back at 1 and he told me 3. Went back at 3 and he told me 5, which was when they finally started.
    So for 8 or 10 hours in this miserable, nasty weather, he had his players out there using a Shop-Vac to clear water off the field and, later on, using a couple of blowtorches to dry out the infield dirt.
    I'm amazed those guys didn't try to set the dugout on fire to get out of there. They might have been too hungover.

I Should Coco and jr/shotglass like this.
  8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Commissioner TigerVols uses his magic wand to cut all games to 7 innings, trim rosters, cut the regular season to 140 games and have all but the league championships and WS feature the team with the better record hosting all but one game of every playoff series.
    Bring on the 21st Century!

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The opposing team should’ve been legally allowed to murder him.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If any of the players had gotten too close while wearing their caps, they'd have created a Cracker album.

swingline likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jake from State Farm and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted