1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Neutral Corner

This might not have aged so well...

garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've shit on twitter for so long here.
    After all these years, Twitter is *finally* interesting

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

These were some of my posts in April when this thead began.

When this was announced, the Fed hadn't done a series of 75 basis point hikes and cheap money was still flowing relative to the environment right now. When I said that I could make a good argument that the fair value of the company was $15 a share max as the business existed, that wouldn't have put the valuation at somewhere around $12 billion at the time, I believe. In the cheap money distortions we were just starting to come out of, there were a lot of people (who I think have been clueless) who would have disagreed with me. Ultimately, something is worth whatever someone else will pay for it.

The difference now is that Musk loaded up the balance sheet with an insane amount of debt in order to buy it, which the company can't even come close to servicing with its cash flow. So if I was valuing it today, I would value it even lower.

Those investment banks that committed to lending him the money had gone more than a decade loaning into even riskier situations than that, and because interest rates were being kept so artificially low (robbing people of yield), they were able to package whatever dog crap they wanted and sell it. Just the little bit of incremental yield was enough to make people do riskier and riskier things. Now? That environment has completely changed with yields rising. And they are stuck holding the bag on that debt. 60 cents on the dollar isn't going to be enough to induce buyers. They are going to have to take way more of a haircut than that to find anyone who sees the value given the risk.

None of this is because of Elon Musk or his craziness, though, as much as people want the narrative that he came in and is destroying something that was fine. Yes, he way overpaid for it and created his own problems. There is no way out. As for the money he borrowed, the environment has completely changed. Almost overnight. That is due to Jay Powell, not Elon Musk.

Fred siegle, TigerVols and poindexter like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But wait there is some effect (maybe not blame) that Musk’s Tesla and the like with huge valuations led to even more lending and more money supply. He’s not completely blameless.

7. The Big Ragu

I don't understand what you're saying.

8. Neutral Corner

When all of this is autopsied, this is where this deal really went wrong. Elon ran off the executive suite and then started making wholesale changes to systems when he did not understand why things were structured as they were. Look at Twitter today and there are hundreds of fake blue checks putting out memes *as Twitter's advertisers*. Throw in that the company's staffers are being told to be "more hardcore", which in this context is work till you drop and sleep under your desk. I'd bet that a significant percentage are updating their resumes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    TowelWaver likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The lack of impulse control happened when he made a binding offer for probably three or four times what the company was worth, which forced him into leveraged debt financing that comes with a more than a billion dollar a year interest payment for a company that doesn't generate anywhere near that amount of cash.

He was fucked before he ever stepped foot in the building.

He is doing massive structural and personnel changes because SOMETHING will have to change for him to get out of the hole he dug. He might not have the answers (there are none unless he can magically morph it into a different business that earns way more than it does) but he's acting the way panicked people who have screwed up act.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

He hung a billion dollar a year nut around the neck of a company that was only occasionally profitable. It's hard to lay off and discount your way out of a blunder that huge. He can run off the expensive established employees, that's not a problem. It's finding people to replace them who have the skills to pull his nuts out of the fire and are willing to invest their careers betting that Musk can salvage a ship that is filling rapidly. That will be difficult for him

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  11. Neutral Corner

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Should be raking the checkmarks.

TowelWaver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted