1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As far as my Gen X comments, I’m surprised it was the Gen X wasn’t expected to improve on Boomers that got the response and not the book banning.

Millennials were told not to settle for McDonalds, go to college and take on the debt, get a good job and buy that good house. But college was expensive, housing became impossible and the jobs didn’t pay us what Boomers got paid. We got cranky about all of it. You would too! And Gen Xers would have taken your angst to MySpace and Facebook too if you had it.

Xers you’re cool and not as cringe as Boomers but let us live and be cranky. We got debt man, and two generations coming up behind us who are getting us blamed for more shit.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hillary Clinton is incredibly intelligent, well spoken and has a tremendous resume. But that's rarely what Americans want in a President. It's a beauty contest with emphasis on the charisma portion of the program. And it's a question of stamina.

For the number of people who adore Hillary, there are an equal number of people who cannot stand her. She is polarizing to a fault. And as exciting as a baked potato.

I'm no political analyst, but it felt like the Democrats anointed her as the successor to Obama no matter what the electorate thought or felt. And even as her campaign failed to gain traction, they propped her up with Super Delegates in order to force the convention to accept her.

Even then, there's really no reason Hillary shouldn't have wiped the floor with the Orange Cheeto. But again, it felt like the Democrats thought they had it in the bag and quit pushing the voters to the polls in swing states. In sports terms, they went into a prevent defense too early.

1. Trump knows how to constantly keep the narrative about him and the public loves car chases and train wrecks.
    2. Democrats severely underestimated the number of voters who only came out to vote because Obama was so charismatic.
    3. Yeah, Comey, but even then, Democrats could have done a better job of messaging why Hillary was the better choice.

Slacker, wicked, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Us later Xers (born in 1976) are holding some of the same bags as Millennials. All of the comforts of being a latchkey kid coupled with the same student loans and low paying wages.

wicked, maumann, Roscablo and 2 others like this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, following this conversation and trying to figure out where I fall (1977). Lucky for the most part to not have the student debt, although my wife still has a decent amount from professional training. Never been paid comfortably. I have gone a lot more to the left on most issues as time has gone on. Definitely struggle with what the heck my parents actually did parenting and otherwise growing up! My mom is so set in stone financially right now she doesn't even realize it. I am pretty lucky, but my sister scrapes by and my mom is just like, it is hard isn't it?

I love the all the comforts of being a latchkey kid comment!

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Only child, single mom latchkey kid and my wife has the nerve to think I’m weird because I love being left alone. I grew up being left alone, figuring out how to keep myself entertained, fed and out of trouble. It was a great training ground for being out on your own as an adult.

dixiehack, wicked, matt_garth and 8 others like this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think when I started being left alone on a regular basis. It was at least fourth grade when I started going to a school a couple of blocks away. I can't really remember before that, but I am guessing it didn't just one day start!

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have a sister but yeah, we learned to go without any hand-holding in life (not blaming my mom all, she had to work)..

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Does he really want that smoke? This is like when Shooter McGavin baited that huge guy at the end of Happy Gilmore.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A "concession speech" is about as useless as giving two weeks' notice at a minimum-wage job.

Nobody's going to remember what you said, especially the winner.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I wasn't a latchkey kid and had both parents, but I was an only child living in a rural area with no other kids around.
    That's why I prefer being left to myself and have no trouble entertaining myself.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted