1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The 20th anniversary of Zevon on Letterman (and that quote) was recently, The Ringer (I think it was them) talked to Letterman for a fantastic look back.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I saw a really good clip by Dale Jr. talking about how he'll give Ty grace next season, because he was given that grace when his dad died. At one point, Jr. referenced Ty's dad being only 49. What he didn't say: Dale Earnhardt was also only 49 when he died.

wicked, maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I watched it that night. Tore my guts out.

playthrough likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Give him grace right now, but it's a long time until February.
    His dad dying doesn't give him a blank check to be a douche on the track.

murphyc, 2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ralph died at 45. Ironhead at 49. Junior is now 48. Time flies quickly.

murphyc and Driftwood like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is what I’m worried about. Junior rarely if ever made blatantly dickish moves to wreck another driver before his dad’s death, and he certainly didn’t do it after. He even told everyone to lay off Sterling Marlin when the fans wanted to burn him at the stakes for “causing” Ironhead’s death. Ty Gibbs would never be that forgiving and he’s not changing his driving style because his dad died.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Part of me wonders if Junior was always petrified about being in his late 40s given the family history, and how relieved he will be if indeed he hits 50.

maumann likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Especially seeing as how he was involved in a plane crash.

murphyc and maumann like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So if NASCAR is going to let Hendrick build a car that's way better than the sh*t sandwich they foist on their paying customers, why not actually, you know, race this instead?

The Le Mans NASCAR Chevy Camaro Already Laps Way Quicker Than a Cup Car

"We have less weight, we have a bit more downforce," said test driver Mike Rockenfeller, who won Le Mans overall in 2010. "Power is a bit different, so we increased a little bit there as well in that area. Now we have paddle-shift, we have traction control in, we have a new dash. I mean, everything is different, basically. So we are pretty close to what we think will be the race car in Le Mans."

"Between the current Cup car, and this test car, again, it's pretty similar, I would say, its weight, its power, its tire grip—it's just a lot faster. I mean, to give you a figure, around here, I think we are around 10 seconds faster than what I did in a Cup car, so it's quite a lot faster."

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wonder what they're running hp-wise.

maumann likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Paddle shift is the bomb.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted