1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Support of DeathSentence has overtaken love of Trump in the GOP klan.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Totally faked blue checkmark.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

And if it was warm she wouldn't wear much more.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. There would be a few Sinemas to muck it up.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are any rules in place about majority control of the house.
    If either side has a razor thin majority and a bad flu season takes out 3-4 70-year-olds, which side has the most can change, and it would be months before special elections could be held to fill the seats.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Not sure if you’re joking but I think that tweet is real.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

If CCM won her re-election to the senate, but the Dem incumbent governor lost the same day.....that can only mean FRAUD!!!!

Webster likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the bottom line, as has been stated before, is that each state is HAPPY with its choices. Throughout the pandemic Florida has boasted a lower unemployment rate than California --- and even today it's 2.5% (vs. 3.9% in Calif.). Each state last week gave its citizens a chance to state their satisfaction with their leaders. Each won in a landslide.

So, we can conclude that Floridians are far stupider than Californians.

But hey, a 2.5% unemployment rate? DeSantis and Rubio said the economy was in shambles! More stupidity that the voters actually believed them, before heading off to their jobs.

Tarheel316, garrow and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Florida has always been far stupider (a great word, by the way) than almost anywhere. If not for tourism, nobody would have lived there before the 1920s. If not for air conditioning, nobody would live there now.

Florida is God's waiting room. A quarter of a million people die there every year, COVID or not, most of them born somewhere else and most of them over 80. Every retirement community or mobile home is on its fifth or sixth occupant by now. Florida has a massive glut of lawyers (you need somebody to handle wills of retirees) and medical positions (you need somebody to keep alive retirees).

As far as other employment, in order to make rich farmers, orange growers and cattle ranchers, Florida has required a substantial underclass of migrant workers and families of ex-slaves. They're hidden in marginalized areas (like around the Citrus Bowl and on the fringes of big cities) but they're there, none the less.

Until NASA, IBM and Mickey Mouse showed up, jobs were mainly to provide services for tourists. There's still a massive disparity of wealth. For every swanky Palm Beach or St. Pete, there's Lake City, Haines City, Belle Glade or Opa Locka. And the U.S. 27 corridor from Leesburg to Lake Placid is filled with mile after mile of aging mobile homes and junky shacks.

But then again, California is Florida with mountains. The growth of L.A. and the Bay Area started after World War II (or even with the Dust Bowl) as migrants found work and better weather. But there's always been a large marginalized population there, too.

Hollywood overshadows a lot of nasty, dangerous places like East L.A., Compton, Riverside and San Bernardino. Oakland, Richmond, San Leandro, Concord, parts of Hayward, East Palo Alto and parts of San Jose take a bit off of Silicon Valley's shine.

And the San Joaquin Valley has a lot of rich farmers and very poor migrants.

It's a matter of perspective.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In a very short drive, you go from a place with a world-renowned university, the wealthiest venture capitalists and one of the most expensive housing markets in the country to just the shithole that is East Palo Alto. It's the craziest thing ever.

On the other side of the bay, you have Alameda with very cozy neighborhoods, wealthy suburbanites and the San Francisco tech guys. Then you cross a little pontoon bridge and end up next to the Oakland Coliseum wondering what is the quickest way to get the hell out of there.

I teach less than a 20-minute, city-street drive from Downtown San Jose. I'm not that far from Adobe and Google and Apple and dozens of other tech companies. My kiddos are either recent immigrants trying to get by, section 8 housing trying not to get caught up in gang life. My commute home forces me past dilapidated businesses that are supposed to pass for a business district and a homeless encampment that they can't get rid of. And I'm not even teaching in the worst of San Jose. That's on the other side of the freeway from me.

Then I go home past a town who can't believe how far the city has fallen because someone's car was broken into and the biggest complaint they have is the major road through downtown might go from four lanes to two to accommodate businesses. So much so, they passed a measure that any lane reduction must be passed by voters.

That is the dichotomy of the Bay Area. And you still couldn't pay me enough to live in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted