1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess is the underestimation of the number of younger voters voting and high turnout was what skewed the polling. People forget the second part of polling. You call 100 people for example, get their responses, but then you "balance" the cumulative answers into what you think the electorate will be, demographics, etc. and if you are wrong on your electorate forecast, your poll is worthless.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Nevada truly could have gone either way, and you don’t often go wrong guessing that Americans will err on the side of name recognition.

That said, polls are stupid.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few thoughts on polling...

--It's a standard GOP tactic at least around here to flood the zone with bullshit polls two weeks out showing an inevitable Republican win.

--You cannot poll young people. They aren't answering the phone, they aren't answering your questions.

--At least here, the polls bake in an assumption that Republican turnout will be more enthusiastic than Democratic/Independent turnout. That doesn't seem to be playing out.

And one big thing: political reporters are not focused on the things that voters are focused on. In Arizona the political reporters thought Hobbs was dead because of outrage over her refusal to debate Lake. I never heard a single person outside of the newsroom ever bring it up. Know what I heard over and over from non-news people? "Kari Lake seemed a lot nicer when she was on TV."

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Couldn’t let her freak flag fly on TV. Until she ran.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I've said this before, a better indication of a cnadidate's "strength" isn't money, but number of donors and from where. Hard to verify volunteers, or voter contacts, - but those are also better measurements of a candidates strength. Whether that message resonates with enough voters is unknown - but having a few billionaires throw some money at a race doesn't suddenly make a candidate viable. I don't think I watch enough TV these days to have seen 10 ads during the general election.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At least she has a second career option. FeqpP7LX0AEd1Vx.jpg_large.jpg

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

… Winding your way down on MAGA Street
    Dead in your head after reading his Tweet
    Another lie another day
    It’s fake news you say
    And they’ll forget about ev'rything

… This MAGA map makes you feel so bold