1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

New York was a problem of the Dems’ own making — they tried to get too aggressive with the new maps and they got rejected unlike GOP states that happily let illegal maps stand. If they had been a little more fair they would have passed and it would have been better in the long run

wicked and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Does this mean Elon and friends have replaced the sh_t emoji with Kari Lake's photo?

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m not sure we’re going to see the fallout from inflation until this winter. People had some savings from the stimulus and I know my household at least had bought so many things ahead during the pandemic that we’re just now having to buy staples like cleaning supplies, toiletries and shelf stable food now. And this hasn’t affected people’s ability to work yet. So people are falling behind, but little by little instead of 2008, where a good chunk of people felt like they lost everything overnight. And once people see how much less their homes are worth if the real estate market keeps coolimg, then they’ll be more willing to vote based on inflation I think.

Liut and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kari Lake did something very rare. She made the race for a lightly-populated Western state national news because she was so incendiary, obnoxious, bullying and hateful. I wonder if some Republicans voted against her because they knew what a national laughing stock she’d make of their state after the Cyber-ninjas, and the armed idiots surrounding the election center in 2020.
    And the Republicans have only themselves to blame for how slow the count took. They encouraged people to drop ballots at the polling places because they wouldn’t trust drop boxes and early voting by mail. Know who else dropped their ballots off on Election Day? People who were intimidated by gun-toting thugs in pickup trucks menacing them at the drop areas. Again, the MAGA’s fault.
    Lake was worse than Trump. And dumber, if that’s possible. All she had to was run hard-right to win the primary and pivot a bit right of center to win. Don’t ride Trump’s coattails, don’t insult the McCains and force yourself to be just a little bit less of an asshole, and she wins by 8 points.
    If there’s a final lesson here, it’s the hard-MAGA movement is a small (and yes, very vocal minority) and Trump is poison. When Walker loses in Georgia maybe they’ll get it.
    However, that will leave a new problem: DeSantis.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Assault weapons and “general crime” are a comparison?
    upload_2022-11-15_1-51-28.gif

How did the left make Alma get to this?

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Looks like the House miracle is not going to happen. AP has already called 217 seats for the GOP, and that doesn't include Q-Bert's seat. CNN has GOP at 215.

That may not be so bad, though. It will be almost impossible to whip votes with a majority of only 3 to 5 seats. The dysfunction of the party will be on full display for the next 2 years.

maumann, OscarMadison and TowelWaver like this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It’s a good thing the election isn’t for another 2 years then, since you’re already doombonering.

8. Regan MacNeil

Jonathan Swan might be the dumbest pundit in politics. Axios!

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

No, I wasn’t. Stop being a dickhead.

I work at Wal-Mart on weekends and see how foot traffic has plummeted in the last month and products that we couldn’t keep on shelves for months are suddenly stacking up in the back.

Food is still moving. Clothes and electronics are not. There’s a reason Black Friday deals started in November.

But I’m sure Wal-Mart, the gold standard for how rural America is doing financially, is just doombonering…

A recession is almoat inevitable at some point under these conditions. I think it may very well be a mild one.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    TigerVols and Liut like this.
  10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Coming soon to a New York Times near you.

11. Regan MacNeil

Cool. None of that changes the fact that the next election is two years away. No one sane is going to vote based on a tough economic winter two years prior. A whole lot can change economically in two years.

12. Regan MacNeil

Also, cool it with the personal attacks. Did you not read the new rules?

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted