1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The head of lettuce now has 1:5 odds.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

David Byrne. Duh.

garrow and dixiehack like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Always look on the bright side of death.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I actually read through that, and I regret it. It was 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. As much as people are going to do an "ah ha!" now.

I know that Elon Musk is a bullshit artist and a carnival barker. Go back on the EV thread on here probably 10 years ago, and while people were fawning , I was trying to get people on here to understand who the guy really is (and it usually felt like nobody got it). The things I was posting were based on scammy-type things he has done, that people refused to understand because he was being put on a pedastal without any scrutiny, while being given subsidies by our government (the company blew through cash for about a decade at all of our expense), while people on here were cheering it on like it was a good thing. Even all of the loans and subsidies bugged me, because he had a knack (even a genius) for tweeking the corruption that is our Federal budget -- for very large dollar amounts. And done in ways that literally had billions upon billions of dollars being fed to him no strings attached.

But that Twitter thread is missing a smoking gun. The guy apparently has two degrees, even if the second degree was awarded 2 years later for reasons none of us actually know for sure from reading that. There is no way for any of us to know if that degree is a BA in physics, or what the circumstances were around his academic career at Penn, at the end of the day. And there is no way to know if he was simply fudging things because he was in the country without a legal visa (which I could personally give two craps about), so he has fudged dates.

Now. ... I wouldn't be surprised if he exaggerates his credentials, made up getting accepted into a PhD program at Stanford (that he has never claimed to have entered), etc. and that there is a ton that is fudged in his biography. It would fit. It's also true of way more people than you'd believe. But that thread still doesn't definitively prove anything, as likely as it seems that something is amiss. You'd think if you were going to do 30 tweets and make an outright accusation in the first tweet, you'd have something proving the accusation, not just a lot of circumstantial things.

FWIW, I long was trying to explain to people on here that he hasn't ever invented anything related to cars, batteries, rockets, etc. when people here were acting like he was a scientific genius. I could see him having dabbled in different departments at Penn (He is a very bright guy), having been a fuck up as a student, etc. That would fit too (and not necessarily in a bad way. ... think Bill Gates, Steve Jobs having been drop outs). But isn't there more more here?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I once named a fantasy baseball team "Implied Oral Consent." HT to the Simpsons.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty good movie.

dixiehack and TowelWaver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted