1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You get a like, if only for the correct use of decimation.

HanSenSE, garrow and FileNotFound like this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

In theory, maybe, but the tech companies I rely on daily (last count we have contracts with 3 dozen) in reality wouldn't last 2-3 days without ongoing maintenance. There are just too many moving parts operating internally and externally to keep even the simplest software running. Twitter ain't Craigslist.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Been there, done that — when it comes to working with a team that is suddenly 10 percent of its former self.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hey if there's one thing I learned in newspapering: Make sure you're the only person who knows how to do a task and make yourself un-layoff-able!

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ha! We just launched that very internal project, which we call Operation Lotto, asking all stakeholders to catalog their tasks "in case you win the Lotto tonight..." I imagine it's going to be a tough slog to get people to do it.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Nothing involving computing is random — every issue has a root cause, and with enough work, said root cause can be traced. It is impossible, however, to account for every possible case and permutations of combinations of issues to have a solution at hand for every one of them.

garrow and TigerVols like this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

We call it our "Bus Plan."

If Engineer X is hit by a bus this afternoon, how do we pick up the pieces (of our project ... maybe not the pieces of the engineer) and carry on.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Arbitraging what?

I think (but don't know) you are talking about leveraged buyouts, where the private equity playbook is to borrow a ton of money (it has been essentially free for them, a la our dumbass central bank that has spent decades now suppressing borrowing costs and creating disastrous distortions) to buy things, then saddle the balance sheet of what they bought with the debt, and then gut it to boost short-term profitability in an attempt to sell it to someone else.

And no, that isn't what Musk is / was doing. In general, private equity doesn't have the greatest track record in terms of getting caught holding the bag, but the Carlyle Groups', KKRs', Warburg Pincus', Bains', etc. are usually very disciplined on the way in and would never overpay anywhere near the amount he overpaid for Twitter. You all are giving him way too much credit. There isn't some grand plan here. He's a chaotic bullshit artist who simply bit off more than he can chew.

Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I meant "stripping" out the company to make it "leaner" to create a more lucrative company, whether for sale or keeping.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Social media "experts" are rejoicing — their workloads are about to plummet.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A former colleague called it "spaghetti code": Even if you blow up something, like FNF said, traces always exist in the system. Much of today for me is cleaning up stuff from a CMS switch that happened in... March.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And Trump was playing 3D chess.

Draft saved Draft deleted