1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Elon Musk ran a Twitter poll. He’s unbanning Trump.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Just one more reason to ignore most of the crap on that platform

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think you're right, but the big hurdle to surmount is that unless a variety of external factors don't improve, a large percentage of the American electorate basically votes as a report card on their own socioeconomic situation, and if they feel like they've been inconvenienced, will vote against the incumbent since they can't ask to speak to the manager.

Granted, the last election proved that percentage is smaller than we anticipated, but I also think the mean level of intelligence sinks quite a bit in a presidential election.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It took fucking up a goddamn plague to cost Trump the election in 2020. Incumbency is a powerful force. Look at this election. Exit polls said 75 percent of respondents were unhappy about the state of the country. Over 90 percent of incumbents were re-elected. Probably more like 95 percent.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Well, trump said he wouldn't return to Twitter even if reinstated. I'm sure he's telling the truth this time.

Man, now I really hope that site dies a swift and permanent death.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If Trump doesn’t do Jan. 6th, well, let’s just say he would have an every good chance at getting re-elected.

But Jan 6th will never go away.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You can’t corollate national polls into district elections. Everyone hates Congress but loves their congressperson. Most incumbents are in districts set up to protect them. The ones who lost this time were primaried or saw their seats the subject to redistricting.

If Congress was voted on by entire states or by the whole country (all 468/469 of them depending on the cycle for the Senate) incumbents would lose at a much greater clip.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fatfuck could do the world a huge favor.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Meanwhile one in four presidents lost re-election. And four of the last ten lost.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Trump had just batted his eyes at Covid, he might have won in a landslide and we'd today be in Man in the High Castle territory.

Thank Elbow he didn't.

11. Twirling Time

I did one of my deep dives without a decompression chamber.

Lee Greenwood gets a bad rap. He had seven No. 1 country hits between 1984-1987, and "God Bless the USA" only peaked at No. 7. The song got appropriated for other uses and he has been grinning to the bank ever since, but you can't blame him. He's just a lucky bastard.

His other country hits are just just unremarkable country hits. I hate him more for singing the Howes Lubricator jingle on the trucking show back when I paginated and drove home late nite.

dixiehack and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Dear god, does Stephanie Drool ever take a day off like the other MSNBC hosts?

Draft saved Draft deleted