1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I looked for the Walking Dead thread but gave up quickly.

Stuck with the all they way. End was ok but glad it’s over. It got to be a chore.

I’m out on any spin-offs. Show was great for 5-6 seasons. But I don’t need to see any more.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A chore is a good way to describe the final few seasons. Much of the time, I was recording it and watching it later while fast-forwarding through the commercials and bits of the show. My problem with the finale is they didn't fully treat it like one. It felt more like the final issue of a big event in a comic, tying up many plotlines, but forcing in teasers for things that are coming next. I won't spoil it, but in that respect, they disappointed me. I'm not surprised but disappointed.

Edit: I watched a bit of Talking Dead this morning. I had forgotten how Gabriel's story started. He has a moment in the finale that hits differently if you keep that in mind.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I bailed two or three seasons ago. Just became a slog. I think I recorded the finale, but I’m not sure.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode of Wednesday on Netflix. It follows the same blueprint as the network's reworking of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. If I'd never seen a previous version of The Addams Family, I might like this one more. Some random thoughts:

The new cast is mostly charming, they sell and thus save the dreary, cold material. That is the biggest problem with this series: All of the sense of fun and warmth has been pithed out in the interest of making it edgy and dark.

Catherine Zeta-Jones is easily as pretty a Morticia as Carolyn Jones was, but unlike Ms. Jones and later on Ms. Huston, there is no spark between her and her partner and her predecessors' respective Gomezs. (Gomeii?)

Luiz Guzman makes a sweet Gomez who looks more like Charles Addams original drawings than John Astin or Raul Julia. He saves the family scenes from being unwatchable. It should also be noted that the actor who plays Pugsley (Isaac Ordonez) is the spit and image of a very young Raul Julia. It makes Guzman's first scene a bit jarring from a fan perspective.

Jenna Ortega is perfectly good as the title character. I enjoyed the interaction between Wednesday and Normie-Townie Tyler and her bubbly, albeit slightly scary roommate, Enid. I'll keep watching to see more of this and the appearance of Fred Armisen who plays Uncle Fester.

wednesday-addams-netflix-teaser-trailer.jpg the-on-screen-history-of-the-addams-family.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

"Work on the heads later, for now, just hearts."

Every new parent should watch Bluey for at least 16 minutes a day. The depth and timeliness of that statement is staggering.

Don’t spend their formative years trying to get them to read chapter books by 1st grade; play with your kids instead.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Is this a show aimed at adults? 20-30 year olds? Teenagers? Have this in my queue but was unsure to start watching this or 1899.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The references to Gossip Girl and the focus on Wednesday's high school angst point to a show primarily intended for teens. The satiric edge that made the movies (and the original series) fun is not there. I'll stick around for one or two more episodes to see if it gets better.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for The Munsters off-shoot "Marilyn" - how she dealt with being the "ugly duckling" of the family.

upload_2022-11-25_13-26-10.jpeg

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We're through two episodes, and it's mildly entertaining. Jenna Ortega is very good in the title role. Much like the children in "Everybody Loves Raymond," this isn't about Zeta-Jones or Guzman. They weren't even in episode 2. We still haven't seen Armisen. A lot of Thing, though.

Does it feel a bit like Buffy (the TV show) meets Harry Potter? Yeah, I think so.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What does where the actors grew up have to do with the quality of the show? Stopped reading.

Draft saved Draft deleted