1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The problem isn't that PEDs were used. The problem is how to judge players for the Hall of Fame. Voters misusing their votes is absolutely a problem.

Claiming not to have a dog in the fight is a cop out. It's a discussion. You clearly have a side. Therefore, you have a dog.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was already having a noticeable effect. People were turning a blind eye before the '90s. That is why the talk of a steroid era is a little misleading.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think if MLB and the Hall and the BBWAA all agreed on an amnesty and an asterisk, you'd get immediate - like same day - buy-in from everyone.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's still messy, regardless.

Some players won't want to make themselves into guinea pigs and / or push limits that might carry unknown risks because of health concerns, regardless. So you would end up with actual use all over the place, and performance becoming more about who is experimenting the most, rather than who is the most naturally talented. Let's say a modern day Hank Aaron comes along -- someone who is naturally just better than his peers -- but he doesn't feel comfortable shooting himself up or trying new drugs that might carry health risks as they become available? We never get Hank Aaron as a result in the environment you are describing, and instead we might get Dave Kingman with his ablities enhanced artificially.

Also, the boundaries are going to be stretched beyond the anabolic steroids and hormones that currently exist, and I personally won't find it as fun or gratifying watching bionic men who are a function of cyborglike experiments compete. I personally prefer lines in the sand to just throwing up your hands and saying that anything goes.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

All fair, and I definitely agree with the latter part. These guys already hit it far enough. ... A lot of his points dealt with injury recovery, things to do with fast-twitch muscles, etc. (I'm guessing he may have hit the needle judging by the looks of him, because he's able to answer questions pretty well -- otherwise I'd have guessed he plagiarized a bit).

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The full ballot:

Bobby Abreu, Bronson Arroyo, Carlos Beltrán, Mark Buehrle, Matt Cain, R.A. Dickey, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andre Ethier, J.J. Hardy, Todd Helton, Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Jeff Kent, John Lackey, Mike Napoli, Jhonny Peralta, Andy Pettitte, Manny Ramírez, Álex Rodríguez, Francisco Rodríguez, Scott Rolen, Jimmy Rollins, Gary Sheffield, Huston Street, Omar Vizquel, Billy Wagner, Jered Weaver, Jayson Werth.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Those not worth talking about: Arroyo, Buehrle, Cain, Ethier, Hardy, Napoli, Peralta, Street.

Those who will get undeserved singular votes from guys who just want to see them stay on the ballot: Abreu, Beltran, Dickey, Ellsbury, Hunter, Lackey, Rolen, JWeaver, Werth.

Those will deserve to stay on the ballot, but will never get enough for induction: Helton, Jones, Kent, FRodriguez, Rollins, Vizquel.

Somewhere between: Pettitte.

Those who stand a good chance of getting there at some point:
    MRamirez, ARod, Sheffield, Wagner.

Move 'em around at your will. That's why we have debates about this stuff.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Beltran, Rolen and Helton are getting in at some point by the writers

ARod has no shot

this is Kent’s last year in ballot

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Helton getting in before Beltran or Rolen. Statistically, I could be proven wrong. Just a gut feeling.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You are criminally underrating Scott Rolen. He had 70 bWAR, a ROY and a WS. He’s a very deserving candidate.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Todd Helton had 61.8 bWAR.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Historically, there aren't a ton of 3B who hit like Rolen did. They tend to get compared to 1B though when evaluating hall chances though, which is why there are less of them in. Rolen would be an easy "yes" from me, along with Adrian Beltre, when he gets on the ballot.

Draft saved Draft deleted