1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If Kent is a no brainer Lou Whitaker would already be in the Hall

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

different era, but Kent's offensive numbers > Whitaker's.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Lou Whitaker has a 75 WAR, a ROY and a WS. Rolen should get in line behind him.

maumann likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

cmon. They aren’t in the same voting situation, so that’s absurd to make one pay for the sins of previous elections

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Whitaker was a great defensive player
    Kent was not

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Doesn't make it less of a travesty to see Rolen get in on the writer's ballot when Whitaker was bounced after one year and then snubbed by the various veterans committees.

7. Della9250

he may not, I was posting the guys in that class along with beltre as a comparison.

There is a certain portion of the electorate that see Utley as a lock

There is a certain portion of the electorate that see Mauer as a lock.

If Rolen doesn't get in this year, he is going to be battling those two, plus whatever Beltran gets this year -- because I don't think he's going in first ballot -- plus Helton and Wagner is also over 50 percent. And then there's whatever potential growth A-Rod gets in year 2 this time and what that means going forward.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Kent's numbers kind of scream "steroid guy," unfairly or not. (Never slugged .500+ until age 30, in S.F., in 1998.) Not that I care about that, but the electorate has shown that they do. Even if we take them as gospel, he's short of the 2B standard for the Hall, mostly because he wasn't in the majors until 24, and he was merely an average to above average 2B until 30. Different position, but Luis Gonzalez has a pretty similar career profile, and he dropped off the ballot after one year.

Utley's peak is just a bit sharper and longer than Kent's, so he's right at the HoF average for 2B. I'm more of a "bigger hall" guy, so he'd probably make it for me, if I had a ballot, but it's justifiable to me to keep him out, if you're more of a small hall guy.

9. Della9250

If you wanna connect dots, there’s some obvious ones….

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Who Kent hit behind tells a lot of that story better than roids do

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

How did the execs ever agree to giving the ex-players a majority?

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Those are the nine I'd vote for. Vizquel was always borderline for me, but the revelations about his behavior make him a no.

Draft saved Draft deleted