1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oh very interesting. So let's debate that: if you had only three votes, who would you give them to in this class? This is gonna be fascinating. Like, will people want to redress the Bonds/Clemens thing and finally confront the steroid issue? Like, would Chipper Jones vote for them, his contemporaries, and thereby assure he could only vote for Murphy or McGriff? Not saying he'd necessarily do that, just spitballing.

Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro and Curt Schilling.

It pains me to do this, but if I had three votes, I'd give them to Bonds, Clemens and Schilling.

In a vacuum, they're easily the most qualified.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That'd be the right ballot. But there's no chance in hell that Jane Forbes Clark is going to assemble an electorate that will get the steroid guys in. Schilling, maybe, because much of that electorate has zero problem with his toxic personal beliefs. But he was such an asshole, just in terms of everyday behavior, as a player that he might have alienated enough voters to ruin his chances there, too.

JC likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Beltran only with one vote out of the first six ballots revealed. Not a promising start

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's crazy. The only way I could imagine not voting for him is if you lump all OFs together.

5. Della9250

Drama…..

6. Della9250

7. Della9250

Committee selects Fred McGriff unanimously

8. Della9250

Mattingly!?!? was next with 8 votes. Schilling got 7. Murphy got 6. Anyone else less than 4

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Tom Emanski better be invited to the induction.

wicked, dixiehack and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is McGriff really a Hall of Famer?

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Well, he is now. I thought he was borderline, but he's a worthier candidate than Jim Rice and not even on the horizon of the worst decisions made by a veteran's committee.

It's absolutely delightful Curt Schilling got a smaller percentage of the vote from his peers, none of whom could stand him no matter how much he thought otherwise, than the big bad writers. LOL.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Looking back on McGriff's career, yes its HOF worthy but damn if he's in, how can you not vote Bonds?? Homer or not, Bonds is a HOF'er, look at what he did before 1999, its ridiculous. To have Murphy (who I love) get more votes just shows how ridiculous the voters were.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted