1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Indomitable! And now the goal-scorer is going to get sent off for taking his shirt off ...

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As tempers flare in SRB-SUI.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So your only hope was another goal and hoping Serbia scored and you get sent off?

[​IMG]

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, to be sure. It was quite the "duh" moment.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think they are wearing blue because the supporters of the just-defeated president who won't leave office have co-opted the yellow team jerseys. They are that country's equivalent of MAGA hats and the "Don't Tread on Me" license plates that immediately identify some Virginia drivers as assholes.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's probably not that big of a deal. FIFA has been particularly anal about "kit clashes" in recent years and normally designates one team to wear a light color and one to wear a dark color. But blue and green are both fairly dark, you say? However, Cameroon's flag and kit have a fair amount of yellow trim in them, so if they got first choice, I'm guessing it was enough yellow to force Brazil to change. The most egregious example of this was probably in 2014, when FIFA made the defending world champions Spain design a white third kit specifically for their game against the Dutch. Spain was the "light" team, but FIFA and/or TV said their blood-red kits were too dark against the Dutch, who were the dark team and wore mostly blue. That said, we've already had at least one red vs. green game in this tournament, in this group even. (Cameroon vs. one of the European teams)

Either that or Nike pulled the kind of bullshit that Adidas does in MLS all the time and made them guarantee they'd wear the blue kit on the field at least once so people would buy it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brazil has worn the blue in other international tournaments, including previous World Cups. It's their alternate kit and has been for some time.

8. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

Brazil wore blue when it won the 1958 World Cup final because Sweden wore yellow.
    upload_2022-12-2_19-27-53.jpeg

Michael_ Gee and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Believing might be a stretch, but ...
    I Hope That We Will Win
    I Hope That We Will Win

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Putting our faith in Jesus at the 9.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm doing my part to support America at kickoff.
    I'm drinking Busch Light and eating BBQ pork rinds.
    At 10 a.m. on Saturday morning.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted