1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get a lot of "on this day 20, 30, 40 years ago X TV show premiered" or whatever on my Facebook page. Amazing how may classic shows featured all-white casts. And we're talking about shows like MASH, Mary Tyler Moore (yeah, Gordie I know, but really), Happy Days, even shows in the '80s like Murphy Brown, Dallas, Cheers, etc. Just saw one for Taxi as well. TAXI!!! Seriously? Everyone was white? Shoot, even the West Wing is guilty of it - they shoehorned Charlie in early in the run, but a Democratic administration?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Louie's assistant Jeff was black.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You have to put it in context a bit, Italians (er Dagos) and Polacks were considered minorities then.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think Fitz was black.

5. DanOregon

Well, yes - there were ocassional characters who weren't white, but it is surprising how many shows had an all-white cast, and it seems jarring to notice now, thow was unnoticeable at the time. Most shows now include at least one person of color if only to let people know that the white characters aren't racists.

6. DanOregon

Kennedy Center Honors happening this weekend, taped for later broadcast. Honorees are George Clooney, Gladys Knight, U2, Amy Grant and Tania Leon. I guess Grant had a big impact in Christian Contemporary music, but she in gets before Sandi Patty? Hell, before Vince Gill?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Always one of the better couple hours of teevee all year. If previous years aren't archived on Paramount+ or somewhere, they should be.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I don’t like other people performing their songs
    I like them performing their songs

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What, the early-season black MASH character named Spearchucker doesn't count?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There were quite a few people in the early episodes who didn't make the cut. Loudon Wainwright III; the dentist/guitar player; Spearchucker. In fact, those first few episodes had more of a bohemian feel, more like the movie.

They never really filled the Bud Cort character from the movie; I guess they figured Radar's presence covered that dynamic. The Jo Ann Pflug character sort of became a revolving door of nurses.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

True. But the guy doing the hiring was from New Hampshire.

12. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I read the producers of "Survivor" said all CBS reality shows need 50% "people of color" casted going forward.

Draft saved Draft deleted