1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Just giving the Aussies no shot at all. Just said, 'they have a date with Lionel Messi.'

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

A second isn't coming but how bad does that second goal in the first half hurt? That was almost inexcusable.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My point was in probably the best group for the US to have a chance to advance, they had opportunities. Yeah this is not a great team but they had an opportunity nonetheless. I’d wager, if the US switched places with any of the other CONCACAF teams, they’d be done after the group too.

4. Roscablo

Honestly, a pretty entertaining match. Wish we knew what a team that could score would look like.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Should've beaten Wales, but think England prob attacks more if US had a W sted of a tie.

Webster, Roscablo and Spartan Squad like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

American announcers suck in soccer.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m not sure there’s anything “wrong” with the USMNT any more than there’s something wrong with Coastal Carolina football. You can’t fake constantly grinding against the best of the best when the opportunities simply aren’t there.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

“Moments in this game, we’re the better team”

L O f’ing L

9. Roscablo

You can't give up the last two goals and feel that way. I do think there are going to be some regrets in this one.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When playing a superior opponent, you have to take advantage of your chances. The Kid not burying that first shot was a killer.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look at the best case goals for each of these two teams going in. Netherlands was, and I read this in more than one preview, "a break here and there and we can win this thing." US is, "let's make the quarter-finals and be legends." That's kind of a tell as to relative quality.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s the hope that kills you.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted