1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The key there is to never have hope.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Only a handful of teams have won the WC. It's the No. 1 sport in Mexico and they have never gone further than the US has.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

His other shots were piss poor worm burners with no pace. I'd give him a D-.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Biggest omission from US team -- Ricardo Pepi?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think it is likely that 6-8 of the players in the first game of 2026 played today. Our CBs are not good enough and at least one of the FBs can be improved upon. Obviously, we need an answer at the 9 as well.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I would have taken Pefok before him but all of those are mediocre options right now.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This take could be totally off-base. I'm sure somebody will let me know if it is.

It's become pretty clear that Pulisic is a world-class opportunity-creator. But NOT a world-class finisher. The U.S. needs one.

Wouldn't that have been a version of Altidore from the previous generation, or even a Jordan Morris with more athleticism, whose body hasn't broken down? Both seemed like they had the heavy feet the Americans lack.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. zufer

zufer Active Member

Coincidentally, "piss poor worm burner" was what he may have been feeling after getting racked in the last match. Gotta think that may have had some effect.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well. Thus ends my soccer watching for another four (or eight) years.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

US is in the ‘26 cup as a host nation unless you don’t want to watch when it’s here

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Going to a match (preferably at Levi's) is om my to do lost for 2026. Doesn't matter who's playing. Speaking of which, are ll three host nations in?

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted