1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Then maybe Italy should have beaten North Macedonia …

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I expect more from a Jedi.

maumann likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Pre-game prediction today was 2-1 Dutch after extra time and there were a few minutes there in the second half where I thought I was going to cash that bet, at least the scoreline.

Dutch the better side, not particularly in the gameplay but in their ability to punish the Americans' numerous mistakes. No one to blame but themselves, but it’s OK. This was the first act. In the continuum of possible outcomes from this tournament, I'd say "get out of the group narrowly and get comfortably dismissed but not embarrassed by a Dutch side with much more class and experience" was smack dab in the middle. I think I described it to a basketball guy I know as like one of those 2-vs.-7 games that airs on Saturday at noon, and the 7 gives up a bunch of open 3's and misses layups and goes out and loses by a dozen.

Berhalter got outcoached again, but at least this time it was Louis van Gaal. I honestly don't have a strong opinion on whether or not he should stay for the next cycle. The finishing was ugh, but strikers don't grow on trees. Hopefully something develops between now and June 2026.

I guess the point of this stream of consciousness is that all this was pretty much at expectations in a low-ceiling environment. The U.S. is back among the furniture in world soccer. Whether we become a legitimate threat in the next cycle or just a particularly uniquely shaped hurdle remains to be seen.

maumann, HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

IMO, Berhalter should stay if he wishes to. There zero guarantee that the country or U.S. Soccer will find better and/or more finishers by finding a new coach and staff. It's not like bringing in new leadership is going to magically solve the issues up front.

Midfield looks really good. Matt Turner hasn't quite become Tim Howard, but he looks like he'll continue the strong tradition of quality goalkeeping with the national program. The two biggest issues are a little more communication and consistency in the back - which the Dutch seriously exposed - and getting some more ability to finish and find someone to play with Christian Pulisic up front.

The thing is, as much as this will invite criticism from the "this is accepting mediocrity" sorts, they're a lot further along than four years ago. This certainly beats failing to beat Trinidad & Tobago, failing to qualify for a World Cup and feeling stuck with an aging roster that, as a whole, had zero shot to get better over the course of the next four years. With any luck, this has set the foundation for the next four years and is, at worst, a tangible start. Given the arc from that loss to T&T to now, I'll take it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How do we get to a semis team?

A proper no. 9 and a couple of top notch and mobile CBs are a must.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A finisher is needed badly. But like others have said, they don’t grow on trees.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

These aren't the midfielders you're looking for...

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Got to win a group as a first step. Second place clubs draw the buzzsaws in the round of 16.

poindexter likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The US could have a spectacular team given the cacophony of athletes we produce in this country. Problem is, the pride and money (for Americans) are not found in soccer. Imagine if some of the top NFL receivers and corners chose soccer?

But if Americans are going to win, a finisher helps. Someone to play midfield that keeps everyone disciplined would be important too.

American soccer needs to find ways to get more people to play in top leagues in Europe. Have to get more playing top competition.

Roscablo likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Most of the best US players are middle to upper middle class kids. We have very few strivers.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes. and every team that didn't make it should've beaten the teams they lost to. Outstanding point there.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

and most of the best golfers and tennis players are middle to upper class kids also.

Draft saved Draft deleted