1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That’s nice, but TV payments matter more than past results.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes. Bribes also matter with FIFA

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Look man, you’re pissing on a confederation for getting two extra spots because the your favorite who already gets more than any two confederations combined got more added. And why CONCACAF? Oceania got a guaranteed spot with a possible second. That’s one spot Europe didn’t get. Africa and Asia nearly doubled their qualifiers. Those are extra spots for teams that tend to not fare as well. But you’re picking on CONCACAF who is netting two spots from this year.

I called you a tool because a) you are one and b) I wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings. I could have called you worse and only been slightly out of line for it.

4. cjericho

you didn't hurt my feelings, but good try.

5. Spartan Squad

The “I wasn’t trying” part not withstanding…

6. cjericho

So you say.

7. cjericho

I brought up Concacaf because it's going from 4 to 6 because three countries are hosting.
    Two should be the limit and even that shouldn't happen, but they already set a precedent.

8. Spartan Squad

I called you a tool. I’ve called my students worse things than that to their faces. And I don’t say harsh things to my students unless I’m kidding. I basically said you’re a meanie face. If I wanted to hurt, tool isn’t where I’d go.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Your suggestions suck and are meaningless. If you don’t like the World Cup, don’t watch. No one here will give a fuck if we don’t get a bunch of bitchy posts from you every four years.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure adding teams to the tournament improves it.

Certainly generates more TV money, and more graft for FIFA.

As for the USMNT, what's left to say that hasn't been said many times before?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You get an extra knockout round, which brings more drama

You can grow the game in more places because now those countries are qualifiers for every World Cup, and that would assume to make the game better as a whole, not just the tournament.

HanSenSE and Azrael like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I watch all sports as a pragmatic not a raging fanboi.
    The U.S. did about as well as can be expected. It was fun watching the individual matches. Doing well in qualifying and the Gold Cup is more important to me than the World Cup because I know we will never win a WC in my lifetime.
    I know my college will never win a national championship, nor will my high school win a state title. I understand that.
    Put on a good show, be competitive, win a conference championship ever few years, and all is well.

Roscablo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted