1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fuck, Regan. Tell us what you really mean. ROFL.

My thoughts about the U.S. and how the weekend played out: I hope everybody doesn't over-react to the round-of-16 knockout. That was the expectation of most going into the Cup. For the most part, the only thing that changed was that the young Americans impressed quite a few more futbol fans worldwide than before.

The core is just beginning their world-stage careers, and it has some personality in it -- Tyler Adams, McKennie, Weah. To me, the casual soccer fan, Adams was a revelation the past two weeks. I know more intense followers already saw what he offered. Plus, I hear there's an 18-year-old keeper who just might be a great one.

Grow a couple of finishers, and they'll be equal to the task.

Now, I have to figure out who I'd like to win this thing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Roscablo likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given that the teams are already over there, and no doubt fans would pay to see more games, and the stadiums are available - why not have the losers of the first G16 games play each other? Give the squads a chance to play reserves, maybe play for a little pride. Seems like a no-brainer. You have teams preparing for four years to get there.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Sometimes teams fire the coach right away after not getting out of the group, but think people definitely would watch more games.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That Mbappe is pretty good

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh Fox, never stop being you …

907B3D25-73A7-4651-B6B3-D6D48631CFEB.jpeg

Didn’t know Costa Rica advanced

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

USA vs. Australia in the Qatar equivalent of the Beef O'Brady's Bowl.

Actually, with nothing on the line the teams might open it up and play some pretty entertaining soccer. Kind of like the third-place World Cup game, I remember Uraguay-Germany game in 2010 was tremendous, Germany won 3-2 when Diego Forlan bounced a free kick off the woodwork in the final seconds.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And really, who cares if they can the coach after elimination - have an assistant fill out the line-up. It actually makes a lot of sense - these national squads play friendlies all the time. Why not do so at the WC?

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The NFL discontinued the Playoff Bowl in 1968.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This isn't the Little League World Series.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that is crazy, hope his family is ok. his mother left Jamaica to get away from violence.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bill Bradley scored 58 points for Princeton in the Final Four consolation game.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted