1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This election really was rigged. There's no chance in fucking hell Jane Forbes Clark is letting the steroid guys get in on her watch. Or anyone else's. They're never getting in.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But don't worry Bret Boone, Luis Gonzalez, and Brady Anderson are going to be honored in their respective "rings of honor" and no one is going to bring up steriods, so keep your heads in the sand.

As Dale Murphy said, the players failed too by watching what was going on in the locker room and not saying anything so let's not pretend the "cheaters" did all this under cover of darkness without anyone's knowledge.

Lastly, I do feel bad for the guys who were clean, yeah the pitchers who got smoked, and the hitters who were trying to compete in an unfair place.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I agree it's a joke. But it's Jane's fiefdom and she will do as she wants.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you could put together any version on the committee that will induct them. And it’s obvious the players, who played against them, don’t want them based on this vote.

I’m really surprised Schilling wasn’t higher. For all his issues, I didn’t think they would hold him back

this era doesn’t meet for 3 years and I wonder how they will handle the 8 names. Do you put the best guy available in mcgriff’s slot to go with seven holdovers or pick a handful of others to get a shot in place of bonds, Clemens, etc

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

McGriff has been a pretty obvious Veterans Committee candidate for a long time. I don't see anyone like that on the horizon. Have to think there will be a spot on that ballot for Dwight Evans and Lou Whitaker, both of whom should have been on this year--arguably over Mattingly and Murphy--but I don't see either one of them building momentum (as silly as it sounds to type that for two senior citizens who haven't played since 1991 and 1995) like McGriff seemed to build momentum.

Mattingly might actually be that guy. With McGriff getting in, the last four non-tainted guys to exhaust their eligibility--McGriff along with Morris, Smith and Trammell--on the writer's ballot have gotten in via the Veterans Committee (or whatever it's called). Everyone loves Mattingly and I could see him becoming the most popular player who isn't in over the next three years. Of course, the same things can be said about Dale Murphy, and he exhausted his writers ballot eligibility just two years before Mattingly. So who knows?

I imagine Bonds and Clemens will be on the ballot forever just so Jane can torture them.

As for Schilling, his body of work is so impressive that he might actually have a shot at getting people to forget what an asshole he is and was if he can just shut the fuck up for three years. But that's not happening.

6. Della9250

if Whitaker gets on the ballot he’s going to get in. There is a groundswell for him after Trammell and Morris got in. He just hadn’t gotten the shot yet and there were people he wasn’t on this ballot

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I hope so. That'd be great. Maybe Bobby Grich can get some love in a couple years on the Classic Baseball ballot and hasten the path for Whitaker.

8. Della9250

Dick Allen is the focal point of that committee after he fell a vote shy the last two times. But after they put four guys in, it could be wide open

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So it's not just the writers who are hypocrites and lauded the steroids users and now want to turn a blind eye to their accomplishments while elevating the achievements of guys like McGriff who supposedly did it clean; it's also the players and execs who turned a blind eye to what was going on in their own clubhouses, said nothing or next to nothing, but now want to punish those guys.

The circle is complete.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Cooperstown has become an absolute non-entity to me. (I'm sure they'll have to address that in their next meeting.)

Fred siegle, maumann and playthrough like this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I just don't understand a MLB HoF that doesn't include Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy. It. Makes. No. Sense.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Whose cap will McGriff wear?
    Five years with the Jays
    Five years with the Rays
    Five years with the Braves
    Three with the Padres
    Two with the Cubs
    I would guess Atlanta, where he won a Series
    Of course the plaque will have under his name “Crime Dog”

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted