1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If anything Joe Biden is incredibly earnest, and it’s caused him plenty of trouble (gay marriage and Taiwan two examples that immediately come to mind). If this guy was doing serious grift, he’d leave footprints all over the place.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What involvement? With the oodles of bullshit (with no actual payoff) I have read in the NY Post, have heard from Donald Trump, and now am seeing revived all over again because Elon Musk needed to create a circus to take the focus off of what a shit show his taking over Twitter has been, the one thing I have never seen. ... is um, actual, evidence. Evidence of Joe Biden doing anything illegal, or really anything I'd even characterize as immoral. Trust me, I'd be receptive to it if there was evidence of something, anything. The only thing he is verifiably guilty of is having had a fuck up for a son (who apparently all kinds of unscrupulous sounding sorts buzz around and hire, on the hope that it will get them to Biden himself). But where is the there there -- something verifiable -- of Biden having done something improper? I haven't seen it.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My favorite part of "All the President's Men" was when Woodward and Bernstein publicly complained that The New York Times wasn't covering their coverage of the story.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

looking forward to that next installment!

garrow likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

it doesn’t have to be evidence of anything. It’s just a story. And as it turns out, a true one about the president’s son’s laptop.

there’s no evidence of a pee tape, but you got to hear and read that one without anyone trying to suppress it. But that’s because it was Trump. This is Not Trump, and there are different rules.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) The "story" has not been that the president has a son who had a laptop that ended up in a repair shop. If that is the "story," there is no conversation to be had.

The actual story has been all kinds of made-up speculation about Joe Biden doing illegal things -- something that Rudy Giuliani and Donald Trump and lord who knows else within the BS brigade were trying to create a "scandal" around before there even was a story to be had. Putting aside the lack of evidence leading to their wild allegations, there is so much BS that they were slinging around that election for which there is evidence that they were lying, making up stuff and trying to obfuscate the truth, that it's fair to conclude that their crap around Hunter Biden (boogity boogity) is more of the same. Now? The "story" is that if not for Twitter suppressing links to the NY Post for 2 days, Donald Trump would have won the election. As it turns out, the story isn't about a laptop at all. It's about Donald Trump trying to create BS around the election. As it always is.

2) The whole thing with the "pee tape" is that the initial reports based on that Steele Dossier were that there were intelligence reports that Trump had stayed in the Ritz-Carlton in 2013 when he wsa doing the Miss Universe pageant, and watched two prostitutes pee on a bed that the Obamas supposedly slept in. And the FSB had the room under surviellance with microphones and hidden cameras and Putin is sitting on video of the incident. The reason it gained any traction with anyone is that it would be totally in character for Trump from everything else everyone knows about him.

Contrast that to the notion that Joe Biden took bribes to do things contrary to American interests. There is nothing about Joe Biden that any of us know that should make anyone think that based on rank made-up narratives that a bunch of people we know are charlatans are pushing. On Trump, in the end, the reason the whole pee tape story went nowhere besides people snickering (because it still very well could be true; it certainly would be in character), was that, there is nothing corroborating the allegation.

Your "different rules" amounts to Twitter having stupidly blocked links to that New York Post story for 2 days, something that Jack Dorsey then called a "total mistake." A 2 day nothingburger that had little tangible effect in the grand scheme of things is being turned into way more than it should be (in my opinion at least). They shouldn't have blocked links to the NY Post. And the realiyt is that the fact that they did (and then quickly undid it) probably fed the nonsense, it didn't suppress it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    TigerVols, wicked and UNCGrad like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

thread

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And why shouldn’t there be different rules?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Poor Trump, I feel awful for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted