1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Cletus Buckley-Strictconstruction was already taken.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Excuse me, my son's name is also Cletus Buckley-Strictconstruction.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The thing I am most tired of in this country is the populist move of creating a villain to try to rile up disaffected people. This is no different to me than the "greedy company" brand of populism. You channel people's shitty lives into a shared boogeyman, and you keep hammering away at it.

Nobody is forced to use Twitter. More than 75 percent of Americans aren't even on Twitter. The rest are on it voluntarily. If they agree with that guy -- find the way it is run tyrannical -- the thing about this country, is that they are perfectly free to walk away, spend their time doing something else, turn to other forms of social media they prefer, even start their own platform (and call it "Truth," and if nobody uses it that was a freely-made decision, too).

This country has devolved into a lot of angry people, who are constantly looking for some outside force to blame for whatever they find shitty in their lives. And we have movements that thrive on that as a matter of couse now, and they find it effective to channel people's anger toward ready-made boogeymen.

That Fox opinion link is not about free speech. Free speech keeps our government from making laws that stifle expression. Twitter is not our government (and that New Yorker thing from earlier glosses over this, sorry). If people don't find utility in using Twitter, there is nothing forcing them to. Which is as "free" as you are going to get in your speech.

This is much ado about stupidity.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I know we diverge at times (many times because of my ignorance or lack of effort) but this is spot on. Thanks.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Said much better than I could've said it. It's not grievance politics now, we're in a grievance society.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

the calls are coming from inside the house!

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

it's rabbitholes all the way down!

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Give me the red pill, motherfuckers!

Draft saved Draft deleted