1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But I'll always go back to Dale Murphy's POV, "we players failed to police the game ourselves." Glanville says he knew what was going on, well what, if anything, did he do during that time? The skeptic in me says he was enjoying the enhanced compensation that the PED users were generating. Or maybe not. But silence has its own risks (think honor code in college, it is incumbent on you to "tattle")

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's a valid, but hardly damning, counterargument.

The only code in pro sports is omerta, so the idea any individual player loses the right to complain about cheating if he hasn't campaigned publicly to snuff it out singlehanded - or ratted out a teammate - is sort of a nonstarter. He'd be blacklisted.

Players should have done more to police themselves, of course.

But that's what a player's union is for, so those things can be dealt with collectively.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I didn’t say go public to complain.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What do you think would happen to a player who tattled privately?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Your point that Cooperstown should not be taken too seriously is a very good point.

It is the point I plan to follow.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

sgreenwell and Azrael like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Doug is a fine writer and thinker.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The fact the Hall can exclude Bonds, Clemens and Rose -- as decided by the writers AND the players -- is why the general public should never be allowed to vote for shit like this lol.

JC likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Jenks is another alum of the high school that brought you Dennis Thurman and Dennis Smith (and me).
    Oh yeah, also Carlos Estevez (not the one the Angels just signed, but the one aka Charlie Sheen).

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's a roadside attraction in upstate New York. It gets to make its own rules for induction.

This is the outcome.

At least in part because everyone takes it too seriously. Especially the baseball writers, who view themselves as attending priests in the Temple of Apollo.

Doug makes a good suggestion in his piece: a separate exhibition for the PED era.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

His suggestion is that they not actually be considered Hall of Famers, so no, it's not that good of a suggestion.

Make them members with asterisks and put their plaques in that wing. That makes more sense than the hypocritical nonsense they have in place now.

Actually, it is somewhere between the roadside attraction and the temple. Yes, some take it seriously, but it's not nothing and it makes little sense to suggest otherwise.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted