1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He didn't own Twitter a year ago.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Work culture in Silicon Valley is the exact opposite of this right now. You are trying to create a narrative and you are flat out out of touch with what you are talking about.

To lure and retain talent, the big tech companies have largely adopted permanent remote work. ... and most of them have been offering options like four-day work weeks, not trying to get people to move into the office (top programming talent would flee to somewhere else; they have had leverage).

This is "Elon Musk culture," not "tech culture." He runs Tesla similarly to this. Interestingly, the only other idiots I can think of who ran companies like this were people like Elizabeth Holmes and Travis Kalanick and Sam Bankman-Fried, where they were all living together on a diet of adderall and questionable business practices. And in their cases, the companies were like giant frat parties where everyone was part of a cult. The people who were at Twitter largely didn't feel that way about Elon Musk. This is all coming from him.

I agree with you that the city of San Francisco shouldn't be involved. If people are stupid enough to kill themselves for a jerkoff who has no loyalty to them and isn't paying them nearly enough for what he demands of them, that's on them. I'd say they should be demanding equity in the company, at least, but with all of the debt he saddled it with, and the lack of cash the business generates, equity in that company can't be much of an inducement.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    FileNotFound likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Elizabeth Holmes: The ultimate fraud
    Travis Kalanick: The ultimate fratboy
    SBF: Bankrupt AF now

I know he says he's autistic, but I'm sure Elon can read the room a little better than this.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What percentage of Twitter’s remaining employees are here on guest worker visas that for all practical purposes can’t be transferred to another employer?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think the culture has shifted since the pandemic. No doubt. The culture that built the tech industry is the playbook from which Musk is working.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's right. And Twitter is very important to a lot of powerful people. It's a key treadmill for a lot of thought leaders who rather liked how it operated 20 minutes ago. Now, not so much.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or perhaps oversharing your bona fides as a Constitutionally clueless, conspiracy-loving crypto-fascist isn't a super-duper PR move.

Fred siegle and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don’t threaten me with a good time.

wicked and doctorquant like this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Azrael likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Seriously ... ignorance really can be bliss.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted