1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The target audience doesn't post here, but Wednesday is pretty entertaining.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I knew Trevor Noah was leaving The Daily Show, his last night was tonight - didn't realize they'll use guest hosts until next Fall. I'd say his stint was "good" - tough following Stewart - and it was relevant, but didn't achieve must watch status, or get the kind of water-cooler/viral video legs that Stewart's show did.
    An interesting take on the genre, would be someone who pointed out the left's shortcomings - but did so in a way that belittled how "basic" most conservative media's attempts at bashing the left are. Focusing on facts, numbers instead of knee-jerk "anti-Wokeism."

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think he drew in an entirely new audience - skewing younger, less white - but probably didn't retain much of Stewart's audience, given their radically different styles. Also, Comedy Central is something of a trash fire again. There's nothing else on the network to draw you in and watch, except South Park, which they're literally running 4 to 10 times a day.

4. sgreenwell

My wife and I watched it - She really loved it, whereas it was more of a "like" from me. Entertaining, but moves a bit slow at the beginning. Also, Wednesday's roommate is great, but the rest of the teenagers are "meh" to actively bad.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I miss @midnight.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed with Fester. It's hard to live up to Christopher Lloyd but he was absolutely bad.

7. sgreenwell

I'm not normally a Fred fan, but I thought he was OK in this. You're not really going to out-do Christopher Lloyd when it comes to high energy, capital-A "ACTING!", so going more wily and sleazy with Fester struck me as a good idea.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I liked where they wanted to go with him, but it felt more like a dude acting in a Disney kids show.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That should be great. I remember all those pool women ... Allison Fisher, Eva Mataya, etc. Saw Mataya earlier this year at a golf event, at night she was on table where people could pay $10 to charity for a game of 9-ball against her. She played it perfectly -- every game she'd miss one shot to give a guy a chance, but she'd never miss two.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We haven't been discussing White Lotus. The finale is Sunday and there's still a big mystery as to who doesn't make it out alive.

The scenery is beautiful and the cast is really good. F. Murray Abraham plays a great dirty old man and Aubrey Plaza and Jennifer Coolidge deliver performances you would expect from them. I've enjoyed it as much if not more than the first season.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed at least 90% of the 30 for 30s (Connors v. Krickstein is likely my fav); really hope this is just as good. (I liked the one on Marty Fish on Netflix/Prime not 30 for 30).

Draft saved Draft deleted