1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2019 … April 2019 … seems relevant.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That article also doesn’t say pretty much anything you’re claiming it says. Since I actually, you know, read it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That’s like saying the dictionary contains the Communist Manifesto. You can make Twitter look like what you want because it contains multitudes.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is kind of Elon Muskish in its reasoning.

It's right up there with:

College students are young and many of them are Democrats. Therefore, colleges discriminate against older Republicans.
    Christian churches in Kansas skew Republican. Therefore, those churches are discriminatory against Jewish Democrats.
    Users of Bloomberg Terminals are mostly interested in money. Therefore, Bloomberg Terminals discriminate against people who aren't interested in money.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If I’d ever written any version of the word discrimination you might be right. But I didn’t. I said Twitter is a treasure of the left. Which, it is. Without Twitter, where would the left go to critique and champion the top corporate and non-profit institutions for their social-political behavior? What we’ve learned is, like any good business, Twitter was catering to its top customers too. Twitter brass may have seen themselves in the left, but it’s also who’s spending the most time on the app. They want a certain pasta dish, give it to ‘em.

And part of what the left does on Twitter is pressure the center and the center-left to be more left. Which, it does.

I’d argue the same is true in higher ed. It’s actually OK - perhaps even necessary- to have a few villainous snarling ultra conservatives to poke and coalesce around. What’s increasingly less OK are folks who don’t check every box of progressivism. True on Twitter. True on campus.

In this world, Clay Travis and Charlie Kirk thrive *because* they’re awful. Their awfulness is kind of crucial, because they prove the left’s point. It’s non-progressive liberal who loses. Angels or villains preferred.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Choosing Bari Weiss as a voice of reason baffles me. You might as well have picked Julian Assange.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) You posted how many times about different "rules" on Twitter for whoever you imagine to be "left" and whoever it is you imagine to be "right." It's been the whole basis of your whole narrative.

2) And even with your attempt at nuance, what you posted doesn't "prove" that Twitter is a "treasure of the left," where they go to "critique" and "champion" and do whatever other characterizations are part of your narrative. That Pew Research study pointed out characteristics of Twitter users. The characterizations of what they do on Twitter -- and how Twitter discriminates -- were all yours.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

treasure of the left?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

surprised the left let it get to this

Draft saved Draft deleted