1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Feels like one of the more likely scenarios today.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wow, that guy went coast to coast! Argentina up 2-0.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Second time I've heard a Fox analyst use "rumbling, bumbling, stumbling. " Somewhere, Keith Jackson is smiling. If he's watching soccer.

Roscablo likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I did not expect a 3-0 romp.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

France-Argentina is going to be crazy (with respect to Morocco)

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That probably has to do with the fact that MLS announced its linear TV package for national broadcasts and Fox is the only English-language outlet, which is too bad both because Fox's soccer coverage is stupid and because Jon Champion came all the way over the pond to do it for ESPN. And since Fox has the next World Cup and the next two? Euros, the WWL is all but frozen out of elite soccer for the rest of the decade save for the leagues it has on ESPN+, which I don't think they do a hell of a lot of studio resources on.

7. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, I realized that was the cause after I saw people posting about losing their jobs. Sucks all the way around.

Also, since the WC has started, every time they show Argentina fans I look for people wearing jerseys that don't have the "Messi 10" on the back. I've seen a couple without any name or number, but I haven't seen any other player's kit in the stands. I can't think of another player who has that kind of hold on a fanbase. Even during the Beckham era, you'd see other England player jerseys in the stands. But I guess when the GOAT is on your team, you get his shirt.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Curious if some not-so-young fans have another No. 10 ... Diego Maradona.

cjericho likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ho Visto Maradona.

10. Inky_Wretch

I wondered that too. Some of the shirts just had a 10 on them, without a name. So those might be double-dipping for both of them.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fox has to hope Sunday's final doesn't go to extra time because it only has a three-hour window (assuming they dump the pregame show) before NFL starts. Wonder what the contingency plan is if it goes to PKs and Cowboys-Jaguars is kicking off.

Draft saved Draft deleted