1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Three hours should be ample time unless the two teams get stupid and Isner-Mahut it on penalties.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It should be. But it will be funny if the France-Argentina final goes to PKs with 20 million-plus tuning in and Argentina wins it at 12:58 p.m. EST and Messi is going bonkers, then John Strong says, "Turn over to FS1 for continuing coverage and the trophy presentation. We now take you to Jacksonville for the kickoff of Jaguars-Cowboys."

dixiehack likes this.
  3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've said for years that the A-League is like looking into a wormhole and seeing MLS 10 to 15 years ago, but even by MLS governance standards this is pretty spectacular self-sabotage. The league sold the next three men's and women's finals to Sydney by doing a deal with Destination New South Wales (the state's tourism arm) and the fan reaction has been ... energetic.
    If there was a World Cup for self-sabotage, Australian soccer would be champions
    The only way the APL will learn is by fans voting with their feet

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That is absolutely what will happen if they go to PKs. The trophy presentation will be on FS1. I was actually thinking about it last weekend when I saw the final kickoff time.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’ve seen USA 10 jerseys with no last name on them for sale at the local Walmart. Might just be a marketing thing.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Allez y’all!

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, that was fast.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A bicycle kick by a back-up center back nearly tied this. Amazing.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My livestream on FoxSports is now off with “Your program has ended” on the screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted