1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He is going to be representing a densely-populated area of Nassau County and Queens, suburbs of NYC. It blows my mind that that level of bullshit and what appears to be a completely made-up bio went as unchallenged as it did while this guy ran for Congress twice, winning the second time.

wicked likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You have to wonder who propped him up. He seems to have quite the financial reversal of fortune.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Free speech in action.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is what I was thinking about when I read that story. I try to read between the lines; I'm not always right, but I try to take guesses about what might really be going on.

This is the kind of guy who is trying to scam his way through life; everything is a fib and short-cut to try to get ahead. He lies like it is a bodily function. As recently as 2017 (or whenever in that story he was being sued civilly for not being able to make his rent), apparently he wasn't very good at it. He was a failed grifter of sorts. Now, he may have some kind of client-serving business that has had hundreds of thousands of dollars flowing through it. ... just as he was running for Congress (This is what Congressional office attracts; our best and our brightest are being drawn to way more productive things). No financial disclosures, so we don't know who now owns him.

The sad things are: 1) We have allowed our Congress to become what it is, where nothing people who have never done anything productive in their lives, get elected and are given broad authority to take hijack trillions of dollars worth of economic activity, where they pick winners and losers (to most of our detriment), and it encourages exactly what is probably going on here, and 2) Now that the NYT has actually done a good job of being skeptical and investigating him and flagging all of the questionable things, it probably will have little impact on the people who can vote him out in 2 years.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Politician seems to be the only job you can't immediately be fired from if you lie on your resume. Wonder if he's even Latino.

maumann likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If I have learned one thing from the experience of the past few decades, it is that America cannot expect genuine reform to come from Democratic Party leadership or enlightened technocrats in Washington; it must come from the bottom up. It must be demanded by ordinary people, in solidarity, coming together by the millions in a social movement capable of sweeping all before it. Unfortunately, liberals don’t build such movements these days: What we do is purge them, police the unruly public via social media and write off wayward voters as sinful

TigerVols likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did this guy just John Spanos his way into Congress? Part of me is wondering why it didn't come out months ago, but they mention high up that they consulted court records in Brazil. Perhaps it took longer than normal to dot the Is.

In the old days he would've been shamed out of Congress, but he'll probably get some subcommittee chair because McCarthy wants to fellate Trump and Trump probably sees Santos as a younger version of himself.

matt_garth likes this.
  9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I sure don't hope he was one of those Trumpers the Dems tried to boost up because they thought he was the more beatable candidate. Maybe spend some of that money on oppo.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That Thomas Frank column is a pretty good start to answering that question.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Alma’s Stop Hitting Yourself view of world history is boring me.

Draft saved Draft deleted