1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /what the ethics committee might look like

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Now I’m having flashbacks to the tree crashing down again. That’s the same blank stare a damn sociopathic toddler gave me last night.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Put the tree on a table, like we do so the dogs won't pee on it.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Question: Why are we just hearing about the Santos allegations now, six weeks after the election?

wicked likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No I haven't and no it wasn't. Forget it? No. Just the opposite.

I view Trump as a kind of "never, ever again" lesson from which Democrats (and Republicans) should examine how a person with his despicable character won a national election - and nearly won another.

I'm willing to concede part of it was related to misinformation and disinformation on Facebook, although propaganda is as old as time.

And I think some part of it was the 2016 candidate, although I thought she was a lot better candidate than some others.

But the larger part is what Frank's column pointed out: Democrats increasingly, stunningly, aligned themselves as a corporate party at the very moment Americans became most disaffected by corporate America in the wake of the housing bubble. Obviously they shouldn't have done it, but the voter for Trump was in part a protest vote because millions of people figured "what do I have to lose?"

A lot! But, as it turns out, the look what you did, you stupid immoral person isn't that effective a strategy for winning back voters.

It's how, 6 years after an indisputably bad choice of electing Trump, he's still an electoral threat as the GOP test drives a newer, slicker model in DeSantis.

Punishment? Yes! Send Trump to jail. But you can't plausibly make the argument that DeSantis will make the same mistakes. And as much as Democrats want to make the guilty-by-proxy argument against DeSantis - that Trump broke the law, so DeSantis was OK with it and would have done the same thing - it won't work with the vast electoral middle. You can punish Trump for his specific crimes and also not change the trajectory of the matter.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not a Mitt Romney fan. At all. And Thomas Frank, whose column I linked, isn't either.

There was a lot to like about Fetterman before the stroke. Not sure if that guy shows up again.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Did you see this Ed? Parents groups across the country are trying to ban books they deem dangerous to young people and that these books should be removed from libraries. Some of the most common titles are "The Caine Mutiny" and "Winds of War." This is part of the anti-Wouk movement."

[​IMG]

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I bought a spray for the tree one year to keep the turkeys the fuk away from it. It did not work - at all.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There was a lot to like about John Fetterman … who aligns politically very closely with Bernie and AOC. Fetterman was the progressive pick over Conor Lamb.

What is there to like about John Fetterman that there isn’t to like about Bernie and AOC? He’s just as confrontational and unlikely to compromise his beliefs. Doesn’t take seeing him much to know that. So what’s the difference? How is John Fetterman different from Bernie and AOC? I wish I could put my finger on it …

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I like Sanders fine. (Tho, in full disclosure, I supported Clinton in 2016.)

I look forward to AOC being a presidential candidate and having to build a broad coalition of support to win in the electoral college. I'd vote for her over Mitt Romney, that's for sure.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted