1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Belichick says just “DO YOUR JOB!”

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The House Republicans' plan to abolish proxy voting is gonna bite them and their narrow majority in the ass sometime this year, guaranteed.

Driftwood and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

TFW you are at a white nationalist conference and your vote is needed in Congress.....

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the beef against proxy voting - is it abused? Sure. But why not have legislation decided by as many legislators as possible instead of having a random illness, missed flight connection or game-playing with when votes will be held determining our laws and regulations.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. At any given moment, the House often has less than its full complement of 435 members due to deaths, resignations, nominations or campaigns for higher offices, etc. The last Congress never had a full roster in its two years of existence.
    2. Abolishing proxy voting means the chief job of the Speaker and the Minority Leader becomes hall monitorship -- making sure as many members as possible are available for important close votes.
    3. Given the evidence we have seen since Nov. 8, which party would you pick to have the best hall monitor? I wouldn't pick the GOP.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Load maintenance?

Baron Scicluna and swingline like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dumping proxy voting seems more likely to be used as leverage against a Republican speaker by their own members - which I think is the point. Conveniently being unavailable without appearing like a turncoat.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Proxy voting is fine. It’s citing a national health emergency that they have worked to undermine that’s the problem.

HanSenSE, franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If Kevin McCarthy hasn't nailed down enough votes by now to be Speaker, I think the odds of him becoming speaker are slim. I hate riding the Trump-will-become-speaker conspiracy train, but it's been eight weeks and McCarthy still can't get to 218.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As it should. When you wrap your lips around the toadstool, the orange goo doesn't wipe off

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No doubt the same national health emergency some in the clan want to investigate Faucci for

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted