1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

So if Twitter was censoring information to aid the US government at the start of Covid, doesn’t that mean it was helping the trump administration?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Tesla's down to 112. I wonder how low it can get before the loans Elmo's stock is securing get called.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’m betting that 100 is the magic number.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not something like $69.69? Or $104.20?

maumann and Chef2 like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Once he refused to fetch beers, sure.

maumann likes this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 9.26.05 AM.png

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Axios is "legacy media"? It's a decade younger than Twitter.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The stock trades at 33, 34 times earning still. What galls me about the company most is that it wouldn't have gotten to today where it can earn what it actually does without an insane amount of subsidization, that we have all paid for (and most people don't realize), which also has come at the expense of the rest of the car industry (which has driven up the price of cars generally, another thing people don't realize).

At 34 times earnings. ... consider by contrast that Ford trades at 7 times earnings. GM trades at less than 6 times earnings. Toyota trades at 9 times earnings. BMW trades at less than 3 times earning. Give Tesla a multiple more in line with an um car company (not a multiple based on ridiculous hype that doesn't translate to earnings), and Tesla stock should go much lower than this. At 10 times earnings (which is still slightly expensive) it's maybe a $40 stock.

I don't know what people expect, though. ... There was a thread on here about EVs that turned into a Tesla thread, and I kept pointing out that during an insane monetary bubble that was engineered over more than a decade, it was creating distortions all around us. Tesla went something like 13 years in which it lost a huge amount of money and was burning through billions upon billions of dollars. The company should have never made it to today, except in that manipulated environment it was carried along at others' expense. One of the places those billions of dollars that he burned through came from was from him using his overhyped, mania-like stock as a piggy bank to raise money. So he kept diluting equity in the company, by issuing MORE stock. When a company does that, it should devalue the stock -- there are more shares out there, so each share should be worth less. But in the artificial, cheap money environment he rode, it had the exact opposite effect. The stock price kept going up, even as he kept diluting the stock.

What is happening today is that artificiality coming out of the stock. ... and it still has a long way to go. There is still a lot of the effects of monetary inflation still sloshing around, which is propping up the stock. Even as they have removed some of the liquidity (with higher rates and stopping of buying debt with quantitative easing), but financial conditions are still very loose. If they continue, Tesla's stock should go down way more than it has. If they reverse (because of the economic pain we are all going to feel soon), maybe they can create more distortions that rewards failure (like he has been rewarded).

TigerVols likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is it even accurate to say "we pay for" these things anymore?

We print far more money than the things "we pay for." I guess you could say the cost is inflation, and we're paying for that.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

TSLA up $2 on the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted