1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Heck, during one of the 2016 debates, Clinton flat out called him out that he didn't pay taxes.
    His response was, "I'm smart." He admitted it. She should have pressed the issue then.

wicked likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Even taken on their own terms for stupidity and corruption, I'd be shocked if those returns are anything close to correct.

The unreported skim from the Russian money laundering alone has to be a multiple of what appears on his tax returns.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Driftwood

The stupid thing is the number of shell companies that all reported the exact amount for gains and losses and the ones the posted the exact same number multiple years in a row.
    Even poorly paid sports writers know when you cook an expense or milage report, you blur the numbers so it seems legit ... or so I've heard.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

exactly

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One time I might've added a toll or two to the expense report. I think it was 75 cents or a buck. I took back roads instead. I was making $11-12/hour, so any morsel of cash was good.

When I filed my mileage, my boss wondered why I didn't have a receipt. "I have E-Z Pass," I said. (I did.) He asked me to print off my E-Z Pass statement in future months to prove I took the toll road.

I left shortly thereafter.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The odometer readings on my mileage reports may have….contained me guessing to within 100 miles of the actual number. The mileage was correct. I knew how many miles it took to get everywhere. The odometer number? A rough estimate. I just always chose an odd number to end it on.

“125…uh…32…3. Yeah, that’s it.”

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trump cheating on his taxes isn't surprising - that he was so sloppy and obvious about it - and yet STILL hadn't been flagged on it for years is surprising.

Between Trump, Tate and the Idaho murders - if 2023 becomes known as the year when justice is served - I'm here for it.

matt_garth and garrow like this.
  10. Driftwood

A thousand times this. After so long, you knew how far it was to the regular stops. I'd just look at the previous months' and fabricate the odometer readings.
    Also, more than once, if I went somewhere new and the actual mileage was a nice round number, I'd tack a couple or three on to make it seem more legit.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Driftwood

Something about this seems very familiar.

BRASILIA (Reuters) - President Jair Bolsonaro left Brazil for the United States on Friday, 48 hours before his leftist rival President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was set to take office, saying in a teary goodbye speech he had "lost a battle but not the war."
    Bolsonaro, who has barely spoken since losing the election, has not confirmed where he is going, but plane tracking data suggests he is heading to Florida, where his security staff are already in place.
    He has repeatedly said he would not hand over the presidential sash to Lula at Sunday's inauguration, breaking with Brazil's democratic tradition.
    He may also face legal risks from remaining in Brazil as his presidential immunity expires when Lula takes office.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... so "smart" is another way to say "a criminal" ...

Draft saved Draft deleted