1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Kansas City star, that's what I are
    Yodel-odel-ady, ya ought see my car
    It's a big ole Cadillac with wire wheels
    Got rhinestones on the spokes
    Got credit down at the grocery store
    And my barber tells me jokes
    I'm the No. 1 attraction at every supermarket parking lot
    I'm the king of Kansas City, no thanks, Omaha, thanks a lot.

-- Roger Miller

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m obviously in the bag for United, but Ronaldo in 2003-04 was the most exciting young player I’ve ever seen (M’Bappe at Monaco and Neuer at Schalke were close). But given his ego, it was only going to end this way. Portugal at its best wasn’t half the team of Argentina so it’s silly to compare WC results as some sort of ultimate test between him and Messi.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Worth noting that Portugal's biggest trophy, Euro 2016, came when Ronaldo was out injured after 20 something minutes of the final.

4. Webster

He was pretty good that tournament and generally has been an excellent player for the national team.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No question. He actually was kind of effective in absentia in the final after he went out hurt. Paul Pogba, whose assignment had clearly been to mark Ronaldo come what may, just sort of wandered about aimlessly through the match after Ronaldo went out.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Auld Firm live on CBS Sports Network. Complete with magnificent Scottish accents on the call.

7. Webster

You know it’s a great rivalry when they have to play the matches at around noon before the fans get too liquored up.

UPChip likes this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There's a large Celtic supporters club a five-minute walk from my house, buddy of mine was there this morning and they were getting into the meat pies, sausage rolls and pints of Tennents well in advance of kickoff. I watched it on his Celtic TV account

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

All class, this operation.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems somebody was trying to blackmail Berhalter.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I suspect that Berhalter is deflecting from a more recent/substantial issue, but it's just a theory. I don't want these to be the terms under which we move on from him.

12. Webster

The whole thing is very strange. Obviously, that type of violence is not acceptable, but if they are telling the truth, a single drunken altercation when you are 18/19 seems like pretty weak sauce to throw dirt at him for 30 years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted