1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I know some people who would absolutely shit their shorts at this idea.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/was-the-virgin-mary-actually-a-slave

At the very least, Nazareans of the first century were a brutally oppressed people, ruled over by Roman puppets who exerted pretty much complete totalitarian authority, so whether or not they were personally "slaves" probably comes down to a matter of semantics.

They certainly weren't free people as we currently understand the concept.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Would be impossible to listen to the album “Tempest” from 2012 and not know he still felt strongly about Biblical literalism.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

... if one listened to Tempest.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Highly recommended. “Soon After Midnight” is lovely.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dylan and the bible go way back.

"All Along the Watchtower," 1967, for example. Isaiah 21. (Same chapter Harper Lee cribbed the title "Go Set a Watchman.")

Dylan's born-again conversion gets us his so-called Christian Trilogy: "Slow Train Coming," 1979, "Saved," 1980, " Shot of Love," 1981.

Like all great poets, he takes from everyone everywhere in every age and era.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Little Richard's bible:

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Last night I was reminded about something that has always bothered me about this thread, but I don't remember if I ever said it. Thoughts & Prayers here became a cynical code for hypocrisy and crocodile tears, when like most most clichés, it became one for a reason. In the face of immense tragedy or terror, we all want to express support to victims and wish them health / comfort / recovery etc., but are powerless. The only thing we can offer are thoughts and prayer. I get that sometimes those saying it may have been in a position with sufficient power to have averted said tragedy, and by all means, beat them up for that. But in the moment, what on Earth are people supposed to say? I know this board and the world is a pretty cynical place, and I choose to hang out here. Still, this one rubs me the wrong way.

maumann, Alma and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There's the issue.

A) No, it's the only thing you can offer.
    B) Nobody wants to read you offering thoughts and prayers in a social media post, least of all the people directly affected. They want action.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Something that embraces nihilism. I think that's the alternative, and it's becoming increasingly popular. IMO...

On the pious end, that looks like punishment - self-denunciation, self-limiting, limiting of others, a "we deserve this" mentality.

On the anarchic end, that looks like heedlessness - live it up and laugh until we die.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

oh ffs

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What made me think of it is I saw a headline from ESPN. For the first time I can remember, I clicked on the 800-ish comments, and it was all anyone was saying. You could say nothing, but the impulse to voice support isn't a bad one.

I wonder what it is that so many find so offensive. Does that example also bother you, or just Republican lawmakers after shootings (real question, not accusation)?

Is it just the lack of action? What about everyone besides Goodell last night? Is it the religious piece?

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I have a bookmark for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted