1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Libertarians for the win salvation!

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Because that is what social media is? Doing that -- broadcasting -- is what you do on social media. It's practically the whole point.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

People broadcasting every inane thought is another issue.

4. WriteThinking

Instances where people are likely to want to, or be compelled to, share thoughts and prayers are made for social media, though. That desire/need to share, join in, and be included is fostered by social media.

That in itself -- the potential pervasiveness of social media -- also makes it so someone who isn't like-minded, who thinks thoughts and prayers are pointless -- would dislike the phrase even more, and think such offerings even more insincere. Everything is magnified, for better and/or for worse.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

Also, I've always thought the "thoughts" part of the concept of thoughts and prayers was there simply for those, and to include those, who maybe aren't inclined toward prayers -- politically correct inclusiveness, as it were.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Capitalism is irrelevant to Christianity, in the sense that, if a group of Christians want to live out the Acts 2 church in a capitalist, free-market government, it should just do that, irrespective of what the government thinks of it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

given that Christianity predates Marxism by almost 2000 years, it’s a lot more like Marxism is borrowing a precept from Christianity, removing any component related to Jesus, and then presenting itself as an alternative religion through the lens of politics and economics. And it is a poor substitute.

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Again, all well and good, and while peripherally related to the original question of why "thoughts and prayers," is so disliked, I don't feel it directly relates.

The vast majority of the western world is still religious/spiritual. Though social media can amplify a minority, it appears many spiritual/religious people (like the pastor author whose opinion piece I linked) do not like the phenomena of the "thoughts and prayers," posts.

From his column:

And I feel it's again worht noting this is on the topic on "thoughts and prayers," in general, not specifically as they relate to the Hamlin incident. The endless "thoughts and prayers," posts from representatives after mass shootings is a large reason why they're so disliked, as others already noted.

When people constantly see "thoughts and prayers," followed by inaction, it's perfectly understandable why many dislike it.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

And not what Azrael meant at all.

I'd love for you to address this claim: modern capitalism directly contradicts Jesus' gospel.

Azrael likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Obfuscation incoming!

11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Sure, it's based on Christ's teachings, particularly ones that Christianity has largely abandoned.

"20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Matthew 19: 20-24

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll address it: That's nonsense.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted