1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

the non-releasers hate Rolen. He loses about 8 percent of his known vote from them. But he’s the top returning guy and it’s obvious Beltran isn’t a strong first timer, so it’s going to be close

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Why do they hate Rolen?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He hit over .300 twice in his 17-year MLB career. He finished fourth in MVP voting one season, nothing higher than 14th otherwise.

Great defender, but there is that.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I heard BA was overrated. Pretty sure it was in all the papers.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Perhaps if he had prolific home-run numbers. And they were pretty good early in his career. But his power output tanked in his last 7-8 seasons.

And I still think batting average has its place. ERA too. His career slash line was .281/.364/.490. Good. Not great.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Brooks Robinson's career slash line: .267/.322/.401. Decent. Not good.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Also, the best defensive third baseman to ever live.

Rolen was really good, and this is probably going to get me skewered, but at some point, the Hall of Fame becomes the eye test: Did you think you were watching a Hall of Famer in real time? If you weren't in his market, did you make it a point to head to the park when his team was in town? Did anyone think this about Rolen? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never once thought of him as a HOFer in real time. He's going to get in (probably not this year, but very soon) and that's fine, but he's as meh as it gets for Cooperstown.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They have similar bWAR (haven't checked fWAR). In fact, I believe Rolen's WAR per season was higher than Robinson's.

I'm not saying Robinson isn't a Hall of Famer. I'm saying Rolen is. And third base is woefully underrepresented in Cooperstown. FFS, it took until after Ron Santo's death for him to get in.

Fred siegle, sgreenwell and UNCGrad like this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Very true and fair. I'm glad the metrics have advanced to the point where a guy like Rolen can build up some momentum. But even after looking at those numbers, I'm just not seeing it. Fortunately for him, I don't have a vote and he's going to get in.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I assume that Beltran's weak showing is about the cheating scandal. I can't see another reason he wouldn't be an easy first-timer.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Correct, several have said that is the basis -- at least as a first-timer and then re-evaluate going forward

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rolen and Beltran are the most deserving of that bunch. I, for one, seem to remember hearing Rolen referred to as a future HOFer quite bit, not least bc of his superior defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted