1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So these really are kinda, sorta the same thing?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As a matter of criminality, it's illegal to intentionally take classified documents to an unauthorized location. No matter how people politicize it, or whether either gets charged, it's not kinda, sorta the same thing. It's exactly the same thing.

As much as people's biases will have them twisting themselves into pretzels to find the distinctions that they want to use to gloss over that small fact. ... in a court of law, "I'm a better person than Trump, and I don't have bad intentions" wouldn't be exculpatory.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

So all the differences that have been pointed out are actually distinctions without a difference?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The adverb "intentionally" is the keyword in Ragu's post. That's why it would be hard to prove Trump committed a crime (although he keeps helping) and damn near impossible to do so with Biden. I have to say, at least the National Archives noticed Trump's documents were missing. The ones Biden had don't seem to have been noticed until found by his own attorneys.

SFIND likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Get back to me when the Biden administration hands in hundreds or thousands of documents.

The own goals piss me off sometimes. This is something that could've been avoided by getting in front of the story with a press release. "We fucked up, we're addressing it." Instead it's drip-drip-drip (enter backdoor joke here).

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm torn between disagreeing with a poster because that poster is incorrect, and knowing what that disagreement is going to bring in response.

So, yep, they're exactly the same. You're right. No notes.

7. Smallpotatoes

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m fine with DOJ investigating this. I would really like people to leave classified docs where they belong, even as I realize there are varying degrees of problematic with it.

SFIND likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The question is: Why were they looking? The “hey, should we go look over in the PennBiden center for 10 classified documents?” rationale seems unlikely. I know the official word is “office space.”

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's an easy one. When the Trump document story broke, somebody on Biden's staff called his personal attorneys and said, "get some guys over to his outside office and check every piece of paper in it." After the usual delay and I'm sure going through a lot of congratulatory letters to Eagle Scouts, they found some documents.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The official story is they found them while cleaning out an office. Why lawyers, and not just typical cleaning house personnel, were doing the clearing is a question.

And, again, it doesn’t mean anything nefarious happened. It’s a question a journalist asks.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted