1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not in favor of cutting off aid to Ukraine, as a matter of fact. Don't try to speak for me.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

B750C00A-352D-4B6C-A25B-9565E71B6921.jpeg
    You see, if you shoot pool with some employee here, you can come and borrow some Patriot missiles.

SFIND and I Should Coco like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure seems like it. Maybe better put is that you are arguing against additional aid to Ukraine.
    If we don't aid Ukraine, Putin wins. It's a zero-sum game.
    And if Putin wins, he then sets his eyes on...what? Poland? Finland? How much would a war there cost us?
    Thousands. Of American lives.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Santos is mentally deranged.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, I was not arguing against additional aid to Ukraine.

What I was saying is that if someone is against the U.S. sending billions of dollars to Ukraine, it's a bullshit level of discourse for someone else who favors that funding, to do a, "You support Putin."

SFIND likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They wouldn't have voted for her, but they would have been more likely to stay home on election day.

wicked likes this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do you think John McCain made a mistake or lost any votes when he corrected that old woman who was foaming at the mouth and calling Obama an Arab?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And that's a fine argument except that isn't what is going on. The people shouting the loudest against aid are not doing it for the deficit. They just say that the loudest and have convinced others that's why they are cutting off aid. They try to gaslight us into thinking it has nothing to do with support for a dictator by a man they wanted to trash our Constitution for. The motives of today's GOP is very suspect based on reasonable evidence. So yes, being against military spending to help Ukraine does not automatically mean support for Putin. Except, in this case they are doing it in support of Putin.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Probably, but he's smart enough to know that there's more safety in playing the victim and hoping enough people rally behind you because VoteBot. Basically he's like an unarmed Kyle Rittenhouse.

Octave, SFIND and FileNotFound like this.
  11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Did he talk about turning a blind eye to sexual abuse?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If this was a "principled" stand, I think the logical thing would be that they are also in favor of a reduction of the U.S. military budget, for example. After all, if we're not going to be involved in conflicts like this, directly or indirectly, then a reduction in funding seems appropriate. But the latest defense bill pretty much sailed through the House and Senate. I've got no clue if this sudden "no more Ukraine" funding is a coordinated attempt by Russian / Putin lobbyists though, or simply the usual modern day Republicanism trolling. You would think that the party of Patriotism and Guns, and Ronald Reagan, would be all for an unlimited check to fund a war effort here.

Draft saved Draft deleted