1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

DocumentCloud

Stop trying to tell everyone else what their motives are.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"I believe America should have a military ready to defend America, and I'm perfectly fine with our military budget. I just don't want to provide the military budget for Ukraine, as well."

That stance could certainly come from a place of "principle."

You are framing how others should think through the prism of what you think.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I understood what The Big Ragu was saying in explaining the general error of that thinking/argument, and he's correct.

But Spartan Squad's point is a good one, too.

SFIND and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Though I think a ton of low-information right-wing populists have a soft spot for Putin as someone who brooks no dissent and refuses to accommodate minority interests, I think the vast majority of these anti-Ukraine folks are the ones who view this who rail against aid to impoverished nations or infrastructure projects in the developing world. As we've seen more and more data on who reads what and when on our website, I find myself kind of disgusted how directly it correlates to self-interest and personal consumption. Other than the groypers and their ilk, I think most of the people that are against Ukraine aid are just thinking two-dimensionally, which is in line with roughly 30-40 years of GOP orthodoxy that "any government spending that does not directly benefit myself or my interests is, by definition, waste."

TowelWaver and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"I was the first person to stop referring to it as "The Ukraine."--George Santos

6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I was amazed the Republican didn't challenge the results. When I heard the results, I told my wife that I expected a Kari Lake-type outburst, but there has been nothing from his side at all, even despite the very narrow margin. The guy's pre-election ads hit all the anti-Democratic buzzwords, including calling Rouse a career politician. The guy is a former pro football player who just got into politics and city council about 5 years ago.

garrow likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The last defense request from the White House was actually INCREASED by Congress.
    "Oh, no. You didn't ask for enough. You want $800 billion. We're giving you $850 whether you want it or not." In other words, "Some defense contractors in my district want a nice Christmas bonus."
    They can sit on their fiscally conservative thumbs and spin. If it was your typical Congress critters, they'd be all for aid to Ukraine because Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, and Lockheed would be raking in (and kicking back).

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Jordan doesn't want THAT project cut. It's all the other fat in the budget.

As Driftwood says, Congress loves adding additional billions onto the Pentagon budget. This is not a new thing. It's been happening for decades. And it comes from both sides of the aisle.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Wasn’t that last increase due to the Republicans coming into the house and Dem leadership realizing this would be the last chance at a defense bill for a while?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Abortions, gender reassignment, rape investigators...

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is just Trump’s NATO threats repackaged. The same Trump who was cozying up to Putin. The same Trump who has been against aiding Ukraine against Russia. The same Trump who has McCarthy by the short hairs because he controls the Freedom Caucus.

But I will stop speaking my mind on a discussion board because it goes against the admin’s opinions.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted