1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's the equivalent of accidentally answering a spam call...you just sent a signal to a billion scammers that your number is current. How does Twitter monetize that? SMH.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

SOLD! HOWARD, YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN!

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This describes Quokka Sports (RIP) to a tee.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Life imitating The Simpsons, part XVXII

Homer suggested no more apples in the vending machine. So Burns told him there would be MORE apples.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that had Tesla's sales figures not dropped and the stock not cratered, both driven at least in part by Musk's being distracted by dealing with Twitter and his erratic and obnoxious behavior, these discounts might not have been necessary/as large.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It has nothing to do with Twitter.

It has everything to do with a rising interest rate environment that has hit demand hard.

11. The Big Ragu

Demand for Teslas has fallen in China. ... and they cut prices there.

Twitter is blocked in China.

12. The Big Ragu

Elon Musk Sold Tesla Shares Before Company Acknowledged Weakness

FWIW, I think the SEC is the biggest joke on earth, it's enforcement is arbitrary and politicized, and I think that insider trading laws are absurd because information is always assymetric (and that isn't a bad thing) and you can't regulate that basic reality away without actually hurting the people you say you are protecting even more than they are disadvantaged by reality.

With that said. ... Musk obviously was in possession of material non-public information, and he sold several billion dollars worth of his stock prior to its disclosure (I honestly don't blame him). The thing is, people only recently have woken up to how he operates, so I'll cut to the likely chase on this: the SEC has a history with him of allowing the security's law they arbitrarily lord over others to made out of rubber when it comes to him.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted