1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As a plus, this feels like Walking Dead when Walking Dead was good. Cool opener to explain society’s breakdown, a well done jump ahead and quality world establishing. Can’t wait for next week.

qtlaw, garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The only twist they had to lean on was Melissa Rauch being Harry Stone's daughter. And I got tired of that before the pilot was finished.

And yes, the secondary characters are more annoying than anything else.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Selma Diamond was Canadian but she had the perfect voice of a New York Jewish woman who smoked two packs a day

875F6D73-45FD-404A-8F4A-3254FFA2B1FC.jpeg

Noted Mr. and Mrs. Rauch are EPs and Laroquette is the producer

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It surprises me that you don't even really see shows LIKE Psych, Monk and the rest on streaming services, which have been where most networks are placing their new programming.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They haven't really needed to make new ones, because people are still nuts over the existing ones. Like, the Top 10 of Netflix is often filled with shows like "Criminal Minds," and Peacock had a "Columbo" craze. I think we'll get some stuff down the road, eventually, but it's probably cheaper for them to just license even B-tier shows ("Without A Trace") than make something from scratch.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still watch the annual Psych movies Peacock puts out.

garrow likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not replaying the original, but I'm probably halfway through Part 2 and it's insane. To the point where there's only so much I can play before chilling out and doing something else. Dark as shit.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I tried hard to like it. Some parts were just absurd, like a judge picking a public defender. The original had great ongoing stories, like Fielding trying to bed Christine Sullivan (ah, Markie Post), the relationship between Bull and the other bailiffs, etc. Unless the writers have something up their sleeves, that ain't happening.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I want to like it, too, because I was a fan of the original and I would like to see Melissa Rauch get a hit show on her own. But, yeah, the first two eps were pretty meh for me.
    FWIW, the TV Guide reviewer thinks the initial episodes were kind of rough but the show picks it up quality-wise in the later episodes: https://www.tvguide.com/news/night-court-review-nbc-sitcom-revival-old-school-comedy/
    I'll probably give it a couple more weeks, and we'll see. However, I did browse YouTube later last night and came upon some clips of the original show, and the comparison is really not kind to the "newboot."

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night, and yeah, she's pretty "out" on it. I'll probably stick with it for a few more, just because there isn't much else new this time of year besides scattered continuations and (mostly bad) replacement shows.

I might be mistaken, but I think the biggest difference between the two Night Court versions so far is such a hard focus on the staff dynamics, and especially Rauch and Larroquette. The latter is still a damn good actor - he doesn't overplay Dan Fielding's quiet respect for Harry Stone, for example. But Rauch was obviously never on the original, and the "will they won't they" with Stone and Christine Sullivan never struck me as a hugely prominent storyline like in other shows. Also, to get morbid for a second, a surprising amount of people from the original are dead (Anderson, Post, Selma Diamond, Florence Halop, Charles Robinson). John Astin is in his 90s, but I imagine we'll see Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield at some point.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted