1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Frankly, for years I always thought it was a sword. Just imagined it was someone impaling themself. Sure sounds like a good name for a sword. Oh, well.

maumann likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A petard is a bomb

Hamlet Act 3 Scene 4

There’s letters sealed; and my two schoolfellows,
    Whom I will trust as I will adders fanged,
    They bear the mandate; they must sweep my way
    And marshal me to knavery. Let it work,
    For ’tis the sport to have the enginer
    Hoist with his own petard
    ; and ’t shall go hard
    But I will delve one yard below their mines
    And blow them at the moon. O, ’tis most sweet
    When in one line two crafts directly meet.

petard.jpg

tumblr_5a3fb6b99b4915c03f5fb27f7568e438_aaf9ee78_500.jpg

or is it?

https://interestingliterature.com/2020/07/hoist-with-his-own-petard-phrase-origins-meaning/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    CD Boogie likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A decade after he dies, a fifth of this country will still expect Donald Trump to stand for criminal trial and another fifth will still want him back as president.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Azrael is right. I also remember being surprised when I looked it up because we don't think of the word hoisted being used that way. A petard is a bomb, so someone can't really hang themselves with a petard. When Shakespeare wrote about someone being hoisted on their own petard, he meant they were sent up in to the air by the explosion of their own bomb.

I'm not sure if Shakespeare invented the phrase or not, but it was popularized by the passage from Hamlet that Azrael cited.

maumann likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So far, all is normal. Plan calls for him to land at Moffet Field, then take Marine One to Watsonville, visit Capitola and Seacliff, then back to Watsonville. No men with mysterious bulges on their hip yet.
    Can't help but think if TFG was still around, some would be guarding the paper towels.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Shoot, i always thought a petard was some sort of old-fashioned leggings, or pants type things. Therefore, being hoisted by them would essentially be like being given a wedgie.

outofplace likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm sad my uncle moved out of Watsonville because he lived on a hill looking out on the airport. That would have been fun to watch.

Santa Cruz people usually wear very loose clothing so I imagine men with bulges are going to be hard to see :D

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You are thinking he’s playing 5D chess when he’s really just trying to survive and will give in to all of the crazies if it means that he has the gavel.

matt_garth, maumann and wicked like this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Florida man talks to law dogs

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted